News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 331 Engine color(s?)

Started by Alex-57, April 15, 2024, 12:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex-57

Hi all -

I picked up a 49 Cadillac Series 61 that I think hasn't been touched since 1969 and is likely nearly original. A lot of things have had their battle with time and the elements ( this is a field buy) but the engine is an odd color - Red. I know they should be Cadillac blue usually.. but this block and heads are red. The tins all seem to be Cadillac blue.

Now I know this could be a repaint.. but I've seen this same color red on other 331's (like the one in that supercharger run stand video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_QX6LBW7I   ). I can't seem to find anything that says red as everyone says "it should be Cad blue"..

Was there a 1949 331 Cadillac engine option that painted the block and heads red prior to switching to all blue?

A little about the engine:

4 bolt perimeter valve covers
I don' t think the engine has ever been removed or apart considering the last tagged date (1969) and sludge build up
Vin matches the block @ front passenger cylinder head area.
No blue paint below the red when I scrape it - blue paint only on tins.

- Alex

Caddieman53

Nope. No Engine options were offered. Check the engine number. in your case it should start with 4961. Just a quick check to see if the engine was changed out at some point. The original engine color is the dark blue.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Alex-57

Quote from: Caddieman53 on April 15, 2024, 08:20:43 AMNope. No Engine options were offered. Check the engine number. in your case it should start with 4961. Just a quick check to see if the engine was changed out at some point. The original engine color is the dark blue.

Correct it is 4961. The engine is coated with more crud than I've ever seen. No evidence of blue on the cast iron. I wonder though because the engine on the run stand in the you tube video has the same paint scheme on it and it looks just as dated / faded.

Quote from: Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373 on April 15, 2024, 09:49:02 AMDark Cadillac Blue. Hirsch has the best. Easy to apply and durable.
https://www.hirschauto.com/mobile/AEROSOL-ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEA-SPRAY/CAD%20DK%20BLU/

Thanks for the paint from Hirsch. I've used them three times now. Superior quality and plenty of paint for an engine with 1 quart.

- Alex

Alex-57

Under tons of road gunk

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Alex-57 on April 15, 2024, 02:53:24 PMUnder tons of road gunk
Yep, I get it. Here is ours when we got it.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille