News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

56 SDV engine update

Started by Bruce Wiley, February 28, 2005, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Wiley

I have started dismantling the engine. The passenger side cylinder area looks aweful. The carbon buildup is amazing. I also have 3 valve springs that have almost no tension. I will pull the motor this week and begin a complete rebuild. The drivers side valve cover and valve area had lots of water. The valve cover has a wonderful white goo built up on it. The fuel pump spring is broken in half. I wonder where the other half will turn up!! I will post pictures later as I get them and try my best to document this oddessy. Any recommendations or comments are always welcome.

Mike #19861

Ill look forward to seeing pics of the engine.

I have just finished tearing down my HT4100 (worlds apart). Its amazing what you find in these engines once the pieces start flying! Engine work is fun, particularly when the engine is on a stand in the garage, good tunes on the go and cold ones in the fridge!

Mike

Steve Toth 21939

Bruce,

Ive got a 56 6219.  Please post them pics often. and let us knwo of any tips and tricks you might find.

Steve

Steve Toth CLC 21939

Bruce,  How many miles do you have on the clock??

Bruce Wiley

Bruce Wiley

It is actually showing 07868. I have no idea if it starts with 1.

Bruce L. Wiley

Can anyone help decode these numbers:
Intake manifold - 1469262-2
Head (L&R) - 1465406-7
Thank you

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bruce,

I don’t know the key to trace a casting number to a part number, but this may shed some light on what you need to get the correct parts for your engine. Each engine has an Engine Unit Number (EUN) which defines what design / part numbers were used in the engine when built. This is necessary because part design may change during the production run and prior design parts may not work. Before you purchase parts to rebuild, you need to determine the EUN. (I don’t recall where it’s located on the engine. Maybe someone with a Shop Manual can post it) I checked the Master Parts Book and there were running changes made to the ’56 engine, including the heads.
Now, here’s some speculation based on my tour of duty in the manufacturing function. I suspect the casting numbers pertain to the tooling used to make that specific part number. There may have been more than one tool or casting mold that made that part and thus the (-) dash suffix. The casting number-part number relationship may have been a shop floor piece of data. The EUN is an umbrella designation that captures all of those data.
Hope this is some help,
Ralph