News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Seville: Pulling the Steering Wheel

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, March 19, 2024, 05:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Happily I have resolved (and in many cases improved) the electrical issues that had interrupted power to my fuel pump.  All the dash bulbs are now new and all of the missing connectors for the various dash panels have been replaced.  And I have learned what all of the bits under the dash are and I am now very very familiar with the wiring diagrams.  Hooray!

New problem.  As part of messing with the dash etc. I discovered that a plastic collar on the steering column had been broken and sort of repaired with a slather of hot glue.  I must have bumped the repair and the collar is now broken again.  This particular collar is the thing that controls the pointer for the transmission selector.

I need to replace this particular black plastic collar.  Hopefully I can find one...

In order to replace it I have to remove the steering wheel.  The manuals reference a special tool for removing the fasteners that hold the steering wheel on the column.  Do you have to have this tool?  I'm sure that someone has removed steering wheels without having this tool.  Is there a trick?

Alternately, is this tool available somewhere?

The good news is that I don't have to have the pointer to know what gear I'm in, but after all of this work to get everything working as intended and looking good, I can't stand the idea of ignoring this broken collar.

Any help out there?

Thanks!

Gary

TJ Hopland

Luckily its not a Cadillac only thing and was pretty standard at least on American cars from 68ish till at least mid 90's.  The actual wheel pulling there are 2 threaded holes so if you have bolts that will fit those holes other types of pullers like a harmonic balancer and some pulley pullers will get that part done.   

Where a special tool comes in is the lock ring. The locking ring is held in by a pretty hefty spring pressing on a clip.  To remove this without a fair amount of blood and risk of projectiles you need the U shapped tool with its special thread on adapter. 

That adapter threads on the steering shaft which then lets you press that U onto the lock ring to get you space to safely release the clip then slowly decompress the big spring. Reverse for install. You compress the ring then drop the clip in.  Its similar to doing a valve spring retainer if you have ever done or seen that process. 

I have done it without the tool but you end up scratching up everything including your fingers and knuckles.  Once the lock ring is off that then lets you at the rest of the stuff like the lock cylinder and turn signal switch.

That sort of tool set used to be the kind of thing auto parts stores had in their load a tool section but designs changed in the 90's along with air bags and clock springs that complicate the process so fewer people want to DIY that sort of repair. 

Here is an example from good old harbor freight.   Parts stores and online places will have similar kits and similar prices and you can usually buy the puller and lock ring tools separate if you have one or the other for less too.   

https://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-63685.html

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Thanks TJ!  I am off to Harbor Freight to buy the tool.  I never would have figured this out without your help.

I don't mind buying the tool: my dad always said that if there's an excuse to buy a tool, do it!  I have so many tools now, ha.  Many have been used only one time for the original purpose, but I keep hoping.

Gary