News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

tire pressures for 1957 eldorado ?

Started by paul57, March 23, 2010, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul57

hi all , i have just replaced the odd pair of radials on the front of my '57 with a pair of used bias ply , thing is i now find the car wanders quite a bit and the ride seems pretty harsh  :-\.
i have tried to find some general data on the car but came up blank  :-\   could anyone point me to a site with some basic service data ?
what should the correct tire pressures be for my car ? the used ones are a temporary stop gap until i can save the 900 english pounds i need to replace the four tires i have at the moment , gulp !  :o :o :o unless someone has a set going cheap  ;D

thanks in advance . paul ...
but its what i've always wanted and this time its a keeper , honest !

1957 cadillac eldorado seville . turning fuel into vapours ...

pmurphy

Guidematic

What you are experiencing is typical of bias ply tires. Radials ride smoother and do not follow road imperfections.

Follow the pressure specs on the side of the tire for the correct settings.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

35-709

If you still have radials on the back it will definitely make the car squirrely!  Ran into that years ago when I attempted to convert a '68 Chevy sedan of mine to radials thinking I could do 2 at a time as I saved the money.  I came up with the money for the other two pretty quickly!   ;D

Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Do not mix radials and bias plies. it is dangerous. Get a good set of one or the other.

Good bias plies will work fine on a car whose steering and suspension are in order. They'll follow grooves in the road but I've found they work very well for me on the highway. Correct pressure is also crucial.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

paul57

think you misunderstood me , i had radials on the front and bias on the rears ,funnily enough the car drove great ...  i swapped over to bias on the fronts , i now have bias all round , still need to know what the tire pressures should be ??? all the tire has written on it is do not inflate over 60 psi . i am running with 32psi at the moment but car feels awful to drive . think i will have to experiment with the pressures if no-one can tell me what they should be  ???
but its what i've always wanted and this time its a keeper , honest !

1957 cadillac eldorado seville . turning fuel into vapours ...

pmurphy

Otto Skorzeny

What kind of tires are they?  Are they all the same size and brand with similar amount of wear?

I had Firestone Champion  8.20x15. I kept them inflated  between 28 and 30psi.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

We've had a tire pressure discussion here before that dragged on and on, mostly concerning radials which generally require more air pressure than a bias-ply.  That discussion only evidenced the fact that there are lots of opinions on the subject.  The 1956 Shop Manual recommendation on the tires available then on new Cadillacs was 24 pounds front and rear (not considering Commercial Chassis and Limos) which some tire conscious people back then thought was about 2 pounds low because the factory wanted a soft ride.  The 1965 manual calls for 26 pounds front and rear, these pressures are in line with what a bias-ply tire should use.  My recommendation?  26 pounds front and rear. 
RADIAL tires require more pressure and (depending on individual tastes) are usually in the 32 to 35 pound range for normal use.  IF you are carrying that kind of pressure in a bias-ply it will ride harshly, be more prone to following road imperfections, will wear prematurely in the middle, etc.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2