News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Weight of '60 390/trans co...
Last post by Lexi - Today at 12:25:32 AM
Quote from: Big Fins on Yesterday at 12:22:24 PMI had to beef up my hoist to pull mine as a unit. On the way back in, just as it was seating in the cradle, the oil ring in the 8 ton bottle jack blew out. Sure glad is wasn't 6 feet in the air when that happened.

That would have been disastrous. Got an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach just reading your post. The Cadillac Gods smiled upon you that day, and saved your car. Clay/Lexi
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1956 dealer installed AC s...
Last post by Lexi - Today at 12:16:03 AM
Thanks Jose. I have seen those papers before. Yes, you are correct in that the idle speed up control units are very different for the Rochester vs the Carters in '56. But wasn't the extra bladed fan 6 vaned (if memory serves)? Would have to pull mine out to be sure as it never made it to the '56 MPL, but was there in the 1957 parts list but with some changes made to it, (and a new part #). You are correct that unless an AC owner complained, every car got the 4 bladed radiator fan. I am inclined also to agree about the fan shroud. I have never seen a '56 Cadillac with what I thought was a contemporaneous one. The few I have seen were all much later and adapted to fit. There may have been a rubber strip that better sealed the hood when closed to the top of the radiator support, but not sure if there in 1956. Do you know if it was there that year Jose? It was sort of a one dimensional poor mans radiator shroud in a way. Just one strip of rubber. Discussions like this used to pop up in the old Mid Century Cadillac site (and CLC Chapter). Lou Commisso the Administrator noted that "factory only" items if MPL listed, could be ordered and installed later by, well anyone including the dealer. So in other words the term "factory only" may not always be true. I agree that this is a fascinating topic and would like to learn more about it. I just don't know much about the AC stuff. Hopefully Gregs chimes in. Clay/Lexi
For Sale - Parts / 1956 thru 1964 Cadillac , Olds...
Last post by Doug Scarrow - Yesterday at 11:07:18 PM
  Correct Jetaway front pump complete  part number 8619952 very fine condition
$160 plus shipping  https://www.ebay.com/itm/266805513612
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1956 dealer installed AC s...
Last post by J. Gomez - Yesterday at 08:52:35 PM
@Greg, @Eric,

You bring a real good topic...!

One item in particular is from the 1956 price list I've posted that either kits should/would included all the gadgetry needed for the installation e.i. compressor brackets, pulleys, etc. but ???

Although there is a footnote indicating one item that would need to be order separately, the carburetor "Fast Idle speed-up control" since this item is different for the Carter or Rochester.

The same generator 30A was used for either A/C or non-A/C, there is/was no shroud and the radiator fan 4-blade was also the same for either A/C or non-A/C. Note: there was an optional 5 blade fan that was offer for those customers with factory A/C cars that raised hell with over-heating.

A second point is from a dealer price break-down a 1956 Sedan DeVille 6239D shows the factory extras A/C, Radio, Heater, Easy-Eye windshield, white wall tires and window lifts = $905.

So adding an A/C to the same model would be $538 per the price list, so not sure if the cost would be the same between the factory and dealer install without doing a complete brake-down cost for each of the factory extras.   :-\
Try lcamuso@msn.com       Tell him Bob sent you.
Want To Buy - Parts / Re: Shepard Cadillac Oakland C...
Last post by 1941cadillac - Yesterday at 06:42:39 PM
I'm near Oakland,ca I'll keep eye out for you.
Want To Buy - Parts / 1941 Cadillac front fenders
Last post by 1941cadillac - Yesterday at 06:37:32 PM
Need two front fenders for a 1941 Cadillac series 63. Also does anyone know if they are interchangeable with series 61 sedan?
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Another ill transmission
Last post by bcroe - Yesterday at 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: TJ HoplandThey said around 20 years is still about the lifespan of the soft parts that let them work correctly so if you refresh them around every 20 years you can get away with just the soft parts kit which tend to still be available and reasonably priced.   

My experience as well, refresh the soft parts after
a couple decades, might save your hard parts by
avoiding a bad (black and smelly) failure like that
for a long time.  Bruce Roe
My recollection is that not only was dealer installed a/c the same appearance as factory, but the cost was also the same as if factory installed. I found this rather incredible given how much extra work would have been involved. 
My recollection of the dealer installed factory AC is that the kit included radiator, fan, had generator, fan shroud, all the refrigeration components an a Frigidaire compressor as well as all the necessary pulleys, brackets, bolts and do dads necessary for a complete system.
Greg Surfas