News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Correct White Wall Tire size

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 22, 2010, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I would like to purchase a set of tires for my 1957 Cadillac Seville .  I have decided to go with Diamondback  Radial tires . My question is  What size White wall tires came standard with my car . My build sheet only states ( code U ) US Royal  The tires i have now  are P235/70R/15    I am leaning towards 3.0 inch Wide  .  any input would be helpful .

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , I do not think i have made myself clear . I know what size tire i need , i am not sure of the Size of the White
wall .  Thanks Bill
Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on January 22, 2010, 08:48:47 AM
Hello ,
  I would like to purchase a set of tires for my 1957 Cadillac Seville .  I have decided to go with Diamondback  Radial tires . My question is  What size White wall tires came standard with my car . My build sheet only states ( code U ) US Royal  The tires i have now  are P235/70R/15    I am leaning towards 3.0 inch Wide  .  any input would be helpful .

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

In 1956, the standard white wall size was 2 3/4 inches. The purchaser could order whatever he wanted, however and wider white walls were still popular.

I like the wide white wall look on 58 and earlier Cadillacs. 1959 and up should have narrower ones in my opinion.

Anyway, when I had bias plies, I ran 4 1/4" white walls. Currently I have radials with the widest available - 3 1/2".
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Brett Cottel

Hey Forest, The radials drive nice?  I have been looking into the tire thing, read all the threads, etc. Friend of mine has a 57 Lincoln Mark 2 and had radials installed, drove it loosey all over the road and was told that the suspension was designed for bias ply so he returned to them. says he wouldn't go back to a radial. Thinking with my 8,000 lb car I'd stick with the bias ply 4 inch WW for a nice old classy look.
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Otto Skorzeny

My '56 is the only car I drive when I'm not driving my truck for work. I kept bias plys on it for 7 years and was pleased with the performance and handling. This was 10s of thousands of miles of highway and city driving. I regularly take trips of over 1000 miles. I once took a 700 mile drive through the mountains and never once felt like my bias ply tires were a disadvantage.

My front and rear suspension have been rebuilt and so has the steering. On smooth highways the bias plys are excellent and don't wander or wobble. I drive 70 - 80mph on the highway.

On city streets ,the speeds are so slow that I don't think the type of tire matters that much. Only periodically would I hit a patch of highway where the bias ply tires would follow a groove. On a trip to Cleveland, OH I encountered a long steep grade on I-75 that was being re-paved. It  was a couple miles of grooved pavement being prepped for repaving.

That was the only time I ever felt scared about the way the bias plys handled. It was both hands on the wheel with a white knuckle grip trying to keep the car straight and not hit the Jersey barrier on the left or the tractor trailers on the right, all at 60+ mph in extremely heavy traffic.

After the road was back to normal, the car handled beautifully as usual.

I switched to radials two years ago because I got tired of buying new tires after only 10,000 miles. They all wore perfectly even but short tread life is the nature of bias plys.

The radials took getting used to at first. There is much more body roll around corners and curves with radials than with bias plies because of the softer , more flexible sidewall. That bugged me a little at first but that is the nature of radials. You can definitely tell that they stick to the road a lot better than bis tires.

One big plus is the greatly reduced road noise. Radials are much much quieter on the highway than bias plies.

The key to getting proper handling with radials is to keep them inflated to 32-35 pounds (or whatever it says on the side). If they are any less than that (like 28-30 or less) you will get extremely wacky, unpredictable handling. I've experienced it once in my Cadillac so I know what your friend is talking about. Low pressure in radials is much more noticeable in these old cars than it is on a modern car.

Overall I'd have to say that I like the radials and the added safety and longer tread life. I don't like the way they look as much asd the bias plies but that's ok.

I would not hesitate to put bias ply tires back on my car and drive across the country, however.

What kind of driving are you going to do in your hearse? If it's local cruising and weekend shows and the occasional long trip, I'd stick with bias ply tires. If you're going to be using it as a regular car, you might desire the safety and longevity of radials.

A Continental Mark II is on my list of cars to buy some day. I drove one that I was considering purchasing and it had radial tires on it. I didn't notice any weird handling at all. Tell your Lincoln friend to pump his tires up and see what happens. His steering and suspension may need work too, who knows?

I have always driven old cars and have never owned a new car (built after 1972). As a result, I think I'm a little more in tune with how old cars drive and handle than most people. Driving old cars all the time makes it more natural for me than it does for most other people.

Because I "don't know any better," the quirks and idiosyncrasies of old cars seem normal to me, therefore I'm less timid about their handling characteristics than people who drive new cars most of the time - even other collectors and enthusiasts who may only drive their cars short distances periodically.

When I drive my brother's Lucerne, for example, it's like flying the space shuttle. I never know where any of the controls are or even what half of them do. The handling seems unnatural and uncomfortable to me.  It's all what you're used to I guess.
fward

jeff1956

Brett,

I don't know that I would install radials on the hearse because none of the wide white radial tires that are produced today are rated to hold up that big of a car.  There are none comparable to the size that came on them new 8.20x15..  Lots of people do put radials on old coaches, but they are taking a big chance that they could have a blow out.  I saw a blowout in Branson, Missouri on a 59 Eldo Biarritz....bent in the lower portion of the front fender and the rim was toast.....I really felt for the guy....his tires probably weren't overloaded, but I'd hate to see that happen to such a fine pro car once you're through with it.  The only company that makes the correct sized tire is Coker....in their vintage firestone 8.20x15 size....

Jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Well there you go,  Brett. That certainly makes the decision easier. I never thought about that aspect. Of course I'm not driving a hearse, either.
fward

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Bill,

I believe the correct whitewall width for ’57 is 2 ¼”.  I put Goodyear bias replacements on my ’57 Eldorado and was never really happy with performance, but was a show car. A good portion of that was attributable to old suspension technology. The difference in appearance will be about an inch in the ride height. Radials sit lower.

I had radials on my ’66 before restoring it and the car road and handled light years better than the correct style bias ply on there now. I don’t use it as a driver so I tolerate the difference for the sake of correct appearance and stance. I bought these tires from a famous source and 3 of the five didn’t run true and could not be balanced. I returned them and I received profuse apologies. The replacements were marginally better, but not great. I will eveually put radials back on the car when I want to drive it more.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Brett Cottel

Thanks for the input guys!  I think with this 8,000 pounder, I'll stick with bias ply. Forest, I plan on cruising around town, shows, and an occasional trip....what do you do with your cars regarding security?

Every year I go to the Monterey Classic Car races in August at Laguna Seca raceway and try to spend the week during classic car week in the Carmel area.

My fear is some snake with a trailer loading up and leaving me wondering if I'll ever see the car again.  My feeling now is that the car cannot be left alone without a guard......true enough?

Or do you guys not seem to have any problems with you knee's knocking while your car is unattended?

I put the motor and transmission in the car last night.....I'll get my camera & post a few pics in a new thread.
Brett
CLC #27535

Otto Skorzeny

You know, Brett, it's not something I dwell on or am overly concerned about. When I go out to eat, I often park where I can see it from the restaurant. If it's a nice place, the valets always trip over themselves to put it behind the velvet rope in front of the place and move the cookie cutter Merecedes and Bentleys out of the way without me even asking.

In the summer I rarely even roll the windows up and lock it.

I considered buying one of those parking lot boots from Rhino Immobilizer and carrying it in the trunk but figured I'd be too lazy to use it. I have a hidden cut off switch but that's about it.

I'm not worried about joyrider thefts or car jacking because this isn't the kind of car those types like. A professional stealing it to order is more likely.

A trailer and tow truck would be the only way somebody would steal yours, I think. The hearse, however is going to be much less desirable to most thieves simply because of its size and its limited popularity amongst potential buyers - for both the car and its parts.
fward

jeff1956

Brett,

To add to otto's comments I have read on pro-car dedicated sites that they have had their cars vandalized, such as slit tires, being keyed, etc, just because of what they are...not necessarily because they do not like you.  I try to never leave my Fleetwood unattended and if I do I park it in the safest area possible and park away from everyone.  That did backfire once....I now have a ding on the passenger front lower door about the size of a quarter, but it can be massaged out via a paintless dent repair, but I have not had it done yet.  I will usually leave my windows down and doors unlocked OR I lock the doors, but leave the vent window open that way if someone really does want in they won't bust out my window to do it.  I don't keep anything of value in the car anyways, but you never know what someone will do or think.  I drive my Fleetwood on a weekly basis during summer and two weeks ago I drove it out in a rainstorm because my daily driver was lent out to my sister at the time and it was a pressing emergency matter.  I HATE vacuum wipers LOL   Just use your best judgment and carry the best insurance you can on it and do not worry...or you'll lose all your hair or it'll go gray.  I carry insurance on the Fleetwood through Hagerty at an agreed value of $22K.  I think you may have to have your car appraised as it is not something that readily has a blue book value associated with it.
By all means take it out and enjoy it though....I don't understand how people can just leave them set in a garage and be content just looking at them.

Jeff

Brett Cottel

thanks Jeff....definitely will be driving this car when I am done refinishing it......looking forward to just saying to the kids or wife...lets go for a ride.  All the attention this car gets it should be an adventure wherever we stop.

Brett
CLC #27535

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Ralph,
  It is always good to hear from you . I always thought they were about 3.0 , so that is why i ask these questions . Otto wrote about you could order any size you wanted . I would think they all came with the standard size . Ralph , did you pick up your 1970 fleetwood yet ?   I had a 1970 coupe deville, the first caddy i ever purchased . And the best Cadillac i ever had . Back in 1973/74  when everybody was selling off big cars because of the gas shortage i went the other way . I purchased the car with 35,000 miles for 1,900.00 from a    private seller . The car was Gold exterior with a black hallow top.It was the last great Cadillac built my opinion . I also had a front wheel drive  69 Eldorado. Now I drive a 2009 Cadillac CTS , the car in my opioion is just ok . Nothing special . i was really suprized when i found out  that it did not come with a spare tire . Also i find there is no room in the car for anyhing ,even a handy place to put your cell phone .I am really sorry to say this , although the car looks great with the 18 inch polished aluminum wheels and my car is black on black . dollar for dollar my 2003 Honda  v6 accorvd has it al over the caddy , and i am a Cadillac man . hope to hear from you soon . Bill 
Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on January 23, 2010, 10:43:35 AM
Hi Bill,

I believe the correct whitewall width for ’57 is 2 ¼”.  I put Goodyear bias replacements on my ’57 Eldorado and was never really happy with performance, but was a show car. A good portion of that was attributable to old suspension technology. The difference in appearance will be about an inch in the ride height. Radials sit lower.

I had radials on my ’66 before restoring it and the car road and handled light years better than the correct style bias ply on there now. I don’t use it as a driver so I tolerate the difference for the sake of correct appearance and stance. I bought these tires from a famous source and 3 of the five didn’t run true and could not be balanced. I returned them and I received profuse apologies. The replacements were marginally better, but not great. I will eveually put radials back on the car when I want to drive it more.

Ralph

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Bill,

The tires were either 2 ¼ or 2 ½” white wall…..I’m pretty sure they were the former. A 3" is definitely not original width. They were correct type bias ply Goodyear for showing the car. Coker has new Broadway Classic radials with 1 ½” whites. I believe they are made by Yokohama. The choice is a matter of personal preference. I may buy a set to drive my Brougham and sell the triple stripe bias ply.
The ’70 Brougham was for a friend. He found a low mileage original that he bought from the original owner….Amazing that it’s the exact color combo and options he wanted.
I bought an ’08 CTS-4, dark blue and cashmere with 18’s. I had minor build rattles and problems that have since been fixed. It’s a nice car but a bit small. I too am sorry to say it’s not as special as I’d hoped and certainly doesn’t compare to my Bimmer……never shoulda sold that car.

Regards,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Stewart Homan

re: Forrest's point about the bias ply's wearing out - I found Coker tyres seem to do this whereas Remington, Broadways and Candy Classics all seem to last double that!

re: Putting radials on Sabres - I've seen the inner rim on Sabres crack around the edge with radials - I put this down to the different 'give' characteristics of the tyre!

Otto Skorzeny

Regarding bias ply tires longevity; I was born after bias ply tires were already obsolete and have no first hand experience with them when they were "new". From what I've been told, 10,000 miles is/was about what one could expect from them. Is this not correct?

Back in "the old days" (1950s), how many miles could one expect to from a set of bias ply tires? Do any of yo guys who drove cars back then recall the typical lifespan of a set of bias ply tires?
fward

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 26, 2010, 02:44:22 PM
Regarding bias ply tires longevity; I was born after bias ply tires were already obsolete and have no first hand experience with them when they were "new". From what I've been told, 10,000 miles is/was about what one could expect from them. Is this not correct?

Back in "the old days" (1950s), how many miles could one expect to from a set of bias ply tires? Do any of yo guys who drove cars back then recall the typical lifespan of a set of bias ply tires?

Actually we might be talking at cross purposes here.

I always refer to OEM tyres - sizing nomencluture - 6.00 x 14, 7.50 x 14, 8.20 x 15 etc as 'Cross-Ply Tyres'

The tyres marked as G78 x 14, H70 x 15, L78 x 15 etc I call 'Bias Belted' - these are a later tyre than the OEM - it is these from Coker that seem to have a 'soft' rubber and wear out quickly!

Otto Skorzeny

Gotcha.

I've used the Firestone Champion 8.20x15 and averaged 10,000 miles per set. Is that what would have normally been expected back in the day?
fward

Stewart Homan

Obviously, I'm not sure - it does sounds a little on the low side... My understanding was that tyres made in the 'old' mould still benefited from modern rubber technology and therefore the wear would be better than that of an original tyre!