News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac COUPE seat

Started by jst, December 03, 2011, 05:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jst

Hi
Can any of you upholstery knowledgeable people tell me what is the purpose of this little hooked arm on the front end of the seat ?  This seat is in a 1953 Cadillac Series 62 COUPE.  Thanks
JST
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Joe,

That feature was new for 53. It's part of the mechanism that lets the front seat pivot forward about 6" when the front seat back is folded forward to allow a person to get into the back seat easier(it's still not that easy!) . Of course, only the coupes and convertibles used this feature. If you have a shop manual (the 53 supplement of the 52 manual), there is a separate section dealing with the new for 53 coupe and convertible front seat.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

jst

Thanks
That's the seat that I have. I flipped the seats, each side slid forward and back properly, with the seats in normal position , I moved the seat forward and back, they worked properly. The whole time that little latch never did move. ?????? Will check the manual
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

Quentin Hall

I always thought the arms were a safety catch in the event that you hit the brakes hard, the little arm swings up and locks/stops the seat from sliding forward. Just as an aside and an interesting point. . . .  The exact same little rubber locator on the arm was later used on 57 thru 60 Eldorado parade boots  .
      ps If any one has a spare set of these 53 tracks I'd be interested.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz