News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cleaning gas tank

Started by mr41cadillac, March 26, 2012, 07:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

seeking advice on cleaning a 1941 sixty special gas tank. i have the tank off looks a little rusty. there is a piece of metal inside the tank that goes almost to the top, i guess this is to prevent slossing arount of gas ? i have used rocks to clean out a tank from another car but there was no metal piece like this. please any advice ?

waterzap

I cleaned the Seville gas tank a few months ago. I tried Marine clean from the  company that makes POR 15 first. Put the stuff in with hot water, closed all the holes with tape and sloshed the tank around the grass. Just rolled it up and down the lawn. Worked ok. Then to get rid of the rust, tried electrolytic rust removal where you put a piece of metal in the tank. Hook up to batteries with a solution. Big mess. Very smelly and did not work that well. So after a few days, bought two gallons of Evaporust. Once again filled all the holes, then would position the tank so that the Evaporust has time to work in all the corners. That probably worked best. You can probably use acid or other things, but together with some pressure washing, the Evaporust seemed to clean it out the best. You just have to have the tank sit in a position for a day or so. Then adjust. Won't hurt the tank one bit if you leave it in too long either. Just cleans better.
If I had to do it again personally, would pressure wash the tank as good as I could. Dump in something like Simple Green and slosh that around for a bit, then use Evaporust. It cleaned good enough, and got rid of 95% of the rust and dirt and I didn't damage the tank.
Leesburg, AL

kkarrer

I'd agree with cleaning out the tank (though the baffles do get in the way), but I think it's essential to put some sealer (slosh) in as a last step. Slosh it, drain it out and let the tank stand for a day or two preferrably in the heat with all holes open.  In the first  30 mins. or so, after you've sloshed it, while you're waiting for the stuff to dry you'll want to reposition the tank to keep the residual slosh from draining to one spot.  Eastwood and others make the stuff but NAPA will have some too.  It's usually yellow and smells like airplane dope.
Ken Karrer
1941 6227 D coupe

waterzap

I was just worried about sealer, if it ever comes loose you will have a HUGE problem on your hands. Still have the can of POR 15. Probably need to sell it to someone braver than me. Keeping the tank filled with fuel, and adding stabilizer for the ethanol should help with rust.
Leesburg, AL

Jim Stamper

I have had two very bad gas tanks done by Renu zit?   About $300 plus UPS,  but about one week turnaround and never a problem after that. They line the inside with some kind of stuff. I suspect if this is not done the rust will reoccur in the places it was removed from. The original coating in there is gone.
                                                                                                     Jim Stamper CLC#13470

RussK

I know about keeping as much as original as possible, but mine sat for almost 30 years and the tank needed more than any place around here could handle
So I figured with $350. + to repair it, and I would still needed a sensor as well.
I went ahead and spent a little more and replaced it
Mine was $500. Complete with a new sender, filler hose
fits and looks great
Russell kidd

Gene Beaird

A radiator shop that is capable of actually _repairing_ a radiator (instead of the swap-shops that most have become today) can hot tank it and patch the pin holes where needed.  I was recently at such a shop getting the radiator replaced in our 79 Seville and the owner mentioned he was tanking and fixing a tank out of a Karmann Ghia. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

mr41cadillac

russ k ive about come to the conclusion you did. can you please tell me where you got yours. ? the trouble with cleaning is the big doubt about how thorough it can be done. and with my repairing the engine and rebuildint the carb. thats a real risk to mess them up. thanks

RussK

I got mine from Allcads in Las Vegas, NV
http://www.allcads.com/
The price from most of the places are about the same when you add in the sensor.
Getting a fill hose, drain plug & bolts for the sensor was a plus, I didn’t expect them to come with it.
I was happy with it.
I talked to the owner, seems nice and knowledgeable
Russell kidd