News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Whitewall tires for '70 Fleetwood

Started by J.C., May 15, 2019, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, Everyone!

Can anyone comment on the correct sizing of whitewall tires for a '70 Fleetwood?

According to the "Authenticity Manual Class 22 - 1967-1970," the tires are supposed to be L78 x 15, load range B tires.  But the dimensions and configurations of the whitewalls are not completely clear to me.  See the attached images of the relevant pages in the manual.  There is an image with a ruler against some stripes but the picture is a little blurry.

I made my own drawing (also attached) with my best estimate on the measurements of the whitewalls.  Can anyone tell me whether or not these are correct?  It looks like the tire should have two strips, one thick and one thin.  The inner stripe should be 1/2" thick and it should be 1.5" from the inside of the tire, right?  The second, thinner stripe should be 1/8" thick and another 1/2" should separate the thick and thin stripes, right?

If I'm calculating and measuring correctly, then, the first distance, A, from the inside of the tire to the inside of the thicker whitewall is 1.5", and the thickness of the fatter, inner white wall, B, is 1/2", and the distance from the outer edge of the thicker whitewall to the inner edge of the thinner whitewall, C, is also 1/2", and the thickness of the outer, thinner whitewall, D, is 1/8".  And this would mean that the total distance from the inside of the tire to the outside of the thinner strip is, E, 2 10/16". 

Am I on the right track, here?  When ordering new tires from Diamondback, is this how I should tell them to design the tires?  All input appreciated!  Thanks!

J.C.
Coral Gables, FL
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

JC,
This subject has been heavily repeat heavily discussed. I suggest you do a search. It wasn't that long ago.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

35-709

Briefly, note that Diamondback only makes radial tires, the L78x15 is a bias-ply tire not available at Diamondback.  They DO make a radial with the correct dual whitewall stripe, just give them a call and talk to them.  The corresponding radial tire size would be P235/75R15.    https://dbtires.com/product/cadillac-specialty-wall-designs/

If you must have a bias-ply L78-15, you are most likely stuck with Coker.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

Good on Geoff for answering the post!   ;D

Bob just tossed a wet blanket on it.....   :o

I recall Cape Cod Fleetwood and Scot Minesinger have the correct (whitewall) tires.  I get my tires from Discount tire (at least it's a whitewall) and my batteries from Sams.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

When a horse has been beat to death it's a good idea to cover it with a wet blanket! Keeps the flies away. Maybe some of you like to rehash topics over & over. I think it's a waste of time! I had Diamondback make the correct 70 tires years ago. I think I was the first one to do it. Chris, I'm glad you stepped up & got whitewalls.

Scot Minesinger

There really is no tire you can buy (even the Coker bias ply with correct stripe) that will not suffer a deduction at GN if the judges follow the rules strictly for primary and higher classes.  If touring there is no point deduction for radial tires.  If you are driving the car a great distance on the highway, buy the Diamondback radials with dual stripes - see my photo.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I have a set of the DB dual stripe radials. The big stripe is a bit too big on these as compared to two original spares I have.   If I get another set for my Eldo I’ll specify the sizes when I order them.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Correct DiamondBacks on my 70 Fleetwood - just buy them.
Ask for Rusty in sales, he's terrific.

If you're not mounting them yourself they'll ship directly to the tire
shop of your choice, you'll need an excellent old school installer since
the wheel weights can only go on the inside.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

J.C.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 16, 2019, 01:01:25 AM
There really is no tire you can buy (even the Coker bias ply with correct stripe) that will not suffer a deduction at GN if the judges follow the rules strictly for primary and higher classes.

Why, Scot?  If the tires are bias ply, and they bear the correct stripes, and they're L78 x 15, then why would there be point deductions?
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

76eldo

On the Coker bias ply L-78-15 there should be no deductions.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Here's a pic of mine.

J.C.

Quote from: 76eldo on May 16, 2019, 04:57:24 PM
On the Coker bias ply L-78-15 there should be no deductions.

I contacted Coker Tire today; they don't offer anymore the bias ply tire with the correct whitewall configuration - they only have a BF Goodrich with the thick stripe on the outside, not the inside.  I also called Lucas and Universal - also no dice.

So my options are to get a Diamondback radial with the correct whitewalls or the Goodrich bias ply with the incorrect stripes - there's apparently no way to get the perfectly correct tire.  Unless anyone knows a place still selling the bias ply with the correct whitewalls? 

J.C.
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

David Greenburg

Does Diamondback make the Auburn (looks/sized  like bias ply but is a radial) in that size?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

papas52cad

My 2 cents,
BUY FROM DIAMONDBACK, PERIOD.!!!!
Do not buy Coker!! Ever, never!
FYI.
1952 Fleetwood

35-709

Quote from: David Greenburg on May 17, 2019, 12:51:06 PM
Does Diamondback make the Auburn (looks/sized  like bias ply but is a radial) in that size?

Diamondback does have the Auburn tire in that size.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J.C.

Quote from: 35-709 on May 17, 2019, 01:30:54 PM
Diamondback does have the Auburn tire in that size.

You were right, G - they had 'em!  I just ordered four.  Hope I can have them on my car in time for the GN!  Thanks everyone for your advice!
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

cadillacmike68

Quote from: J.C. on May 17, 2019, 02:44:52 PM
You were right, G - they had 'em!  I just ordered four.  Hope I can have them on my car in time for the GN!  Thanks everyone for your advice!

Get on the phone and order a 5th one! And rotate the 5 tire pattern as outlined in the owners manual.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike