News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Distributer shaft direction

Started by Dennis, November 17, 2007, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

My '57 Eldo Seville and '62 Sedan deVille have been sitting, unstarted, for a little over two years and now it's time to bring them back to life.  I want to prime the oil system prior to turning the engines over.  I have an old distributer shaft that fashioned into a drive shaft.  My question is, that after I remove the distributers, and engage the drive shaft mounted in my cordless drill, which way do I spin the oil pump.  If I'm looking down, should I spin it clockwise or counter-clockwise?  Years ago, I mounted an oil pressure gauge permanently under the hood of both cars so I can monitor that while I tinker with the engines.

Thanks,

Dennis
Signed:  Dennis DeLay

Doug Houston

If you pull off the rotor, look at the shaft, and there should be a tiny arrow, stamped in it, showing rotation.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I just looked at the manual for my 54 and it shows the direction of rotation for the rotor arm in the distributor [looking down on it] as counter-clockwise [or anti-clockwise as we say here in Britain !!].
Hope that helps,
Phil

35-709

And if all that fails, just take the distributor cap off the car and have someone hit the starter for a second and watch which way it turns.
8)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Personally after 2 years I would not go through the bother of removing the distributors unless they were stored under poor condtions and in poor condition when you parked them.   I may squirt something down the spark plug holes and crank it without the plugs till the pressure cam up.   Most of time on engines that have been sitting I crank them with the ignition disabled till the oil pressure comes up.  My theory is you could cause stress on things trying to start them with the timing wrong although if you mark them carefully you should be able to get it back in close.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

greg surfas 15634

Regarding directi0on of rotation. When in doubt, the direction of rotation of the distributor can be determined by just removing the distributor cap, leaving the rotor in place, and gently by two fingers and no tools,  turning the rotor in both directions.  It will only go in one direction, that movement is the certrifugal advance and the direction the rotor CAN turn is the direction of rotation.
Greg Surfas