News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Whats Up With Ebay

Started by 60eldo, April 30, 2024, 01:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So when I go on ebay search 1960 cadillac, I go to newest first. I get ford stuff chev stuff all makes models.  Only a few 60 cadillac items. Why is this, maybe its my PC windows 7
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

First make sure you select used. All those people trying to sell universal accessories mess up the search for anything new.

But then you have the issue with all the vintage accessories that try to say they fit all vehicles.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

Done both. So u all experiencing the same thing, or is it just my PC. Best match works good, all 60 cad stuff.
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

Also add -fits to your search.  That should eliminate things like fuzzy dice and skull valve stem caps.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

Im getting car parts from 1937-1970, cars, parts. I did fits as well.             https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1960+cadillac+-fits&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&_udlo=75&_sop=10                                   
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

Funny. When I search 1961 Cadillac. It still branches out on some things. But is pretty consistent with the application.

But when I search 1960 Cadillac I do see some very off things.

I was wondering if it was the fact of a decade year rather then 1961 specific. As  if it is looking from items that will fit a 1960's car. Any 60s car. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Lexi

Have noticed that on and off for years now. Hard to predict how Ebay's search parameters will function. You got to do your best to narrow your search at both your end as well as at Ebay's, otherwise the fuzzy dice will pop up as TJ noted, along with Betty Boop valve stem caps and dingle berries to adorn your headliner above your windshield trim. Clay/Lexi

Poncholover

Yes Asinine. Complain all you want, they do not care.
Very hard to find what we are looking for.
Flattie Caddy

Moody

I've had good luck searching with "1960 Cadillac only".  Or put in the actual part you're looking for. I've bought more parts from other sites for less money than eBay. You just have to weed though their "for sale section". I've bought parts on Jalopy Journal for my '60 for bargain prices. Other car makes websites will have the same parts because they are still GM, without the Cadillac up-charge.
Moody

jwwseville60

With Flea-bay you have to be ultra specific and detailed.
There are so many semi-scams that purport to be "factory correct."
Vendors are always looking for suckers who dont exactly know what they are looking at. Old as the hills.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

60eldo

Thanks guys. At least now I no its not just me.BTW some of the prices on 59-60 parts is nuts. Its not gold. The search I do is advanced search and type in FITS
Jon. Kluczynski

Carfreak

Hahaha! 1959 Cadillac parts ARE gold and some 1960 stuff too.

Eldorado parts are PLATINUM.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

What is gold these days is pretty much any NOS engine part that is 20+ years old.  You got a 30 year old set of SBC lifters and a cam?  Name your price.  Thats the kind of stuff you just cant get new quality anymore. The few people that still can make good stuff get counterfeited so you still can end up with crap. 

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I put 1960 Cadillac in the search box and just searched eBay Motors....

That got 52,000 matches !!

The problem is that eBay forces your search terms to look and search into the descriptions....I wish to just search the titles of all sellers auctions...

One of those searches came back with a religious statue for the top of your dash board...

Looking into the description section of that statue this is what is waiting there to vacuum up my 1960 Cadillac search term...

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
eBay item number:395379351630
Item specifics

Condition
    Used

Seller Notes
    "rare---authentic-1940s-used--not a repop"

Color
    gray service nos chrome

Manufacturer Part Number
    1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1948 1949 1950, 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1951 1952, 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962, 1931 1932 1930 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969, dodge ford gmc gm buick cadillac chevrolet pontiac, chrysler mercury plymouth lincoln oldsmobile mg mb, desoto packard studebaker trailer hupmobile hudson, essex nash graham paige willys knight overland v8, whippet special century jeep series four six eight, aerosedan touring roadster convertible utility, line accessory rare plated 126 model a t b scta, mopar fomoco dpcd classic vintage hp gpw kit usa, chassis duty marker guide trim peckat hardtop, 1929 1927 1926 1925 1924 bomb mod style wide, hood red white blue stars, stock bucket old rat mouse motor dual ac air, attachment automobile club award, camper webbs city stores inc, sedan terraplane streamlined airstream, 1929

Material
    metal steel

Superseded Part Number
    38 39 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 chevy ford mercury dodge, scout rpo resto mod

Vintage Part
    Yes

Placement on Vehicle
    Front, Rear, plate area trunk, mount back, tin metal, dash area, dash, interior moulding, emblem badge award trunk, service station, service dial

Suitable For
    Car, Caravan, Motorcycle, Trailer, Van, Vehicle Headlights, Vehicle Windows, hurst

Brand
    truck street rod custom

Type
    sign topper emblem badge steering gauge

Interchange Part Number
    studebaker hudson packard automotive gauge temp church jesus save

OE/OEM Part Number
    oem standard rv camper deluxe coupe master pickup, 1971 1972 fleetline fleetmaster stylemaster mount, cabriolet bom rat rod street hot lowrider art deco, flathead hemi panel van delivery cylinder 6 speed, car part gasser drag clased cab power coe 4wd aa, rag chop top bile motorcycle harley amc stepside, estate passenger beetle vw volkswagen lamp, tin american flag war ww2 veteran display 1928, indian bobber ww2 moons mag panhead bike track, highway dash bakelite dial meter, gauge for altitude cars trucks parts automotive, emblem badge bumper trunk lid gmc 150 1500 250, indian cycle bike scooter, gold toned color award, vacation florida promo advertising, 350 2500 3500 3100, bomb indicator steering ton, station wagon trog jalopy duece woody safari rv, bakelite metal bracket rpo, remember flag, indian trike rv camper trailer, miami beach

Attachment Type
    Bolt-On

Theme
    advertising usa auto car park gm badge

Features
    Custom Image, flag, bakelite, metal badge, antique, advertising, church protection prayer, bakelite oil color, service dial navigation, chrome with bracket altitude, air dial

Universal Fitment
    Yes

Country/Region of Manufacture
    United States

UPC
    Does not apply

If I put quotation marks around "1960 Cadillac" I still get 3400 items....From here I'd have to go to the left side of the screen and just tell eBay to search parts and Accessories then search just used parts....I'll probably lose some NOS parts with that move but that gets me down to a manageable 750 items....

After I get down to a level I can live with I save that search by selecting only new listing at the top of the list.....

I wish it was easier that that....it ain't !!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best thing to use to limit searches is to put  "- fits"   That is Minus Fits after the required search.

I just did that to a search for 1960 Cadillac, and it went from 48,000 to 12,000.   Using the Inverted Commas brought it down to a respectable 2,700

Plus, what I also do to weed out extras is to see what there is a lot of, and if there are Ford bits, add -ford.   That just lost another 1,000

It stops all that extra garbage.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Just don't give up your Windows 7. Besides XP, it was the last decent operating system.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dn010

It is the keyword spammers who add the entire dictionary to every section they can who ruin a simple search for the rest of us. Of course eBay doesn't offer an easier method of searching title only, you can still put a search in quotes but if the seller does not have it listed exactly how you have it quoted, you'll get 0 results. I like to report the worst offenders for keyword spamming. I am sure it won't do much but it makes me feel a little better after sending 4-5 of them for eBay review.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

Remember when you could search Craigs list?   I don't know what its like in other areas but in my area if you search for pretty much anything you get mostly wtb used motorcycle ads.

J. Skelly

Ebay doesn't care what potential buyers want.  They are like Facebook Marketplace in that they want to keep you logged in to look at other stuff for sale that you don't need or want.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

cadillacmike68

The problem is that sellers are putting hundreds of "key words" in their listings - somewhere - and it messes up the searches. Tye searching s for words in ONLY the listing title. That may or may not help.

I have a search for Cadillac 1967 and 1968 clocks. Every day there are 20+ listings and NONE of them are for a clock and MOST of there are not even for Cadillac parts!?!?!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike