News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Electric fuel pump

Started by 60eldo, October 09, 2023, 08:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I just went through 3 mech fuel pumps all leekers. I no nothing of electric fuel pumps, but maybe thats the way to go. Can someone tell me brand and what I should get for my 60. Or can you tell me where I can get  a mech one thats made in the US of A
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

Rebuild an original when you can. Arthur Gould rebuilders did mine.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

x2 for Arthur Gould. They did mine about 4 years ago.  Aftermarket mechanical pumps have been unreliable going back many years, long before everything went to China. I remember people complaining about Airtex pumps 30 years ago.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Michael Petti

If you have an original fuel pump body, rebuilding will be fine. Arthur Gould did mine and am very satisfied for 2 years now.

James Landi

As stated above, the less complicated mechanical replacement is clearly the first choice. AN electric substitute must be "wired" appropriately to insure that the pump does not keep pumping when the engine is not running, but the ignition and electric pump are left on--- any slight leakage in the carburetor needle valve could create a situation where the crankcase fills up with raw gasoline (a potential bomb!).  If wired with electrical safe guards, and matched to your carburetor's pressure and capacity requirements, an electric pump can provide reliable service.  I've owned many gasoline powered motor boats, and I've always substituted electric pumps, for safety reasons (as a leaky mechanical pump can cause an explosion) and for ease of starting following long periods ofinactivity. Another consideration for members who have fuel pumps that are mounted on the engine's oil fill is the lack of adequate lubrication for the mechanical pump.  Pumps mounted high up on the engine are prone to rapid wear at the pivot and fulcum thus creating lash and, over time, less and less fuel volume. 

60eldo

If I go electric, what PSI should I get for my carter,, what brand did you buy
 thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

jwwseville60

Facet fuel pumps are very well made, aircraft quality.
I wire mine on an under dash switch so I can turn it off when not needed.
They are around 6 psi.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

dn010

I have been running an "Autobest 42S Externally Mounted Universal Gasoline Electric Fuel Pump" since 2015 on my 1957 along with an inline regulator "Top10 Racing Manual Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Carburetor Carb Fuel Pump FPR Universal 1-5 Psi with 8mm 10mm adapters" adjusted to match my carburetor's pressure requirement. I also have a switch under the dash to turn the pump off should I want the ignition on for other installs or diagnostics and want no fuel to be pumping. My pump is mounted under the car near the tank and unfortunately it has been there so long, I do not recall where I brought in the power from.

Both of the quoted items can be found on amazon.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean