News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

rear window cylinder removal 1952

Started by Alfons De Schepper,CLC#25475, October 04, 2009, 12:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfons De Schepper,CLC#25475

where can I find a manual or pictures for removing a right back window hydrolikcylinder of a 1952 coupé deville.
Any help is welcomea.de.schepper@skynet.be

Philippe M. Ruel

Cylinders alone are very hard to remove and install when in car, because of powerful drawback springs (been there, done that, do not advise to attempt). You have to remove the whole frame where the cylinder is installed.
Remove all hardware and quarter panel upholstery.
Lower the window, disconnect electrical wire and hydraulic line on bottom of cylinder.
Unscrew window sash channel from the frame (2 screws) and raise window manually. Keep it in raised position.
Remove screws holding frame to body and remove frame, there IS room for it to get through quarter panel hole...
Then you can remove cylinder from its frame.

In case you are a french-speaking Belgian :
Il est très difficile de déposer ou de reposer uniquement le cylindre, à cause des puissants ressorts de rappel (je l'ai déjà fait, je ne le conseille pas). Il faut déposer le cadre dans lequel le cylindre est installé.
Enlever les panneaux de sellerie et toute la quincaillerie (poignées, vis, interrupteur...).
Abaisser la vitre, débrancher le fil électrique et la conduite hydraulique en bas du cylindre, boucher et isoler.
Dévisser le support de vitre du cadre (2 vis) et remonter la vitre manuellement. La maintenir en position haute.
Enlever les vis qui fixent le cadre à la caisse et déposer le cadre, il y a (en principe) la place de le faire passer dans le trou de la caisse...
On peut alors déposer le cylindre de son cadre.
1952 60 Special in France.

Otto Skorzeny

All I have to say to all that is, Sacrebleu!
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

thank you for the respons is there also a repairkit for those cylinders?
Merçie pour votre reponse rapide y a t il des kit reparation pour ces cylindre?

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Alfons, click on the link below my signature and you'll find a huge list of vendors specializing in vintage Cadillac parts.

For your windows, look for a company called Hydro-E-Lectric. They sell parts, including brand new cylinders,  for hydraulic convertible tops and windows for 1946 and newer.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

You may order new cylinders from the U.S., or have new ones locally made by a hydraulic shop, with O-rings and C-clips instead of original flat rubber gaskets.

Have a look at this thread : http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,98662

1952 60 Special in France.

thank you all for the info  I think I will remove them first and go from there, home made or buy new. ;)