News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1937 6049 series

Started by Paul Tesone, March 27, 2011, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

Thanks Mike - I nearly drove my wife , office staff and myself crazy trying to select the correct red from the many samples I had to choose from . But I think I (we) made right choice . The combination continues to grow on me . I'm just waiting for the top to be put on .The upholsterers are in the process of fabricating a pocket of sorts along the side rails to conceal the snaps . Then they can complete the top and I can get some final photos for all those readers who have so patiently followed the car's progress and so kindly contributed advice and positive comments.  ...Paul Tesone C6876

Paul Tesone

THE TOP IS ON !!! ..... Now it looks like a real car . Still have some under-dash work to connect wires and ventilation tubing . Steering column needs to be painted and a new horn button .The guys made up a grey vinyl pad to protect the trunk rug and put a rubber lining in the little trunk well that will hold the bumper jack & handle . Convertible boot is next. I'm not sure if snaps screwed into the  beading ( is that what it's called ) material along the rear of the top well are correct or not . How else would the boot be secured along the back of the well ? When I suggested snaps there , my upholsterer said that screwing snaps thru the material would be like driving a stake in his heart. Any thoughts as to originality would be appreciated . Harvey ,what do you think ? ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

More photos - Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Steve Passmore

Cars looking really really nice Paul.   
I understand your trimmers feeling about fixing snap bases to the 'Hidem' or 'Wireon' that he has  used around the body line, I go through the same dilemma many times on my own cars as well as other peoples, but they had them on there from new. There is no other way of retaining the dust boot at the rear.  I usually use only just enough to do the job, spacing them out as much as possible perhaps only 4 or 6 around the whole rear area. There isn't too much air pressure around the back, lack of them around the front area is what would lift the boot off if anything.  I have studied my body manuals from all different years and the pictures aren't clear enough to see how many they used but I think I'm in the ballpark.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Steve Passmore

Paul. I have just gone through my library and found an original workshop manual as opposed to the normal re prints and it clearly shows 9, yes 9! snap bases around the convertible sedan body.  I can only make out 7 on the coupe body.  You cant have much more confirmation than that.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Tesone

Steve - you continue to provide me with valuable information . I should put you on a retainer status like some people do with lawyers that they often use . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

tony m

Paul,

Concerning the snaps on the rear convertible top, I have looked at my 6049 and my car has eleven (11) snaps on the rear end of the car.  These snaps (screws) are on the outside of the car on the rear panel holding down the convertible top, I suppose it was done this way because of the constant pressure the top has on it.  I am not totally sure I'm referring to the same part of the top that you and Steve are discussing..........

Hope that info helps, my car is pretty much original other than elbow grease.

Regards,
Tony

Paul Tesone

Tony - Steve & I are referring to snaps penetrating  the top material that the rear of the top well as noted by the arrows in the attached  photo .  Can you post some photos of various views - inside & out - of your car ? I'd sure be interested . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Steve Passmore

Paul, lets see if I can help you a little more.  By studying the pictures even more I can see a total of 9 snaps or poppers bases whatever you want to call them around the car body but importantly here the dust boot does not use all of these.     From the manual I can see there are 3 hidden under the top material on each side and your top proper has 3 of the other half of these snaps securing it on each side behind the rear door hidden under a false pelmet in the material of the hood, yes?    The boot uses the front and rear ones of these 3 snaps, not all 3.
If I were above the car looking down facing backwards there is 1 snap base at 12 o'clock, in other words dead center, and 2 more at about the point where the seams land between the 3 segments of the top material.
So, 9 snap bases in all, 6 utilized and hidden by the roof, and just 3 around the tub beading for the benefit of the boot which has 7 in all.
If I could I would send you pictures but the detail is very fine and I'm sure I would loose it with scanning and copying but i hope that will clarify things.  That's not to say you'll convince your trimmer of coarse :o
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harvey b

Wow that top looks very nice,my car had a top put on it about 25 years ago by a good upholstery shop here in my hometown,the problem was that the car was not ready for it,it was only half ready for paint and the doors were not aligned or adjusted at all,it is hard to latch the top,seems to shorten the door gaps?.I had since had the body off of the frame and had a bugger of a time to get the door gaps OK,they are still not right but are acceptable to me.All of the snaps on the boot are missing on my car too,did they just screw into the hard rubber material on the trim gulley,or would they go right through to the metal under neath?.I also thought they used the clips that had a button on the top that you turned to lock them,not a push in button style?Also there should be a button the inside of the rear seat for it to hook to?.Another thing,does anyone have a copy of the steps to fold the top,there is a specific order to fold the material,so it will lay in the well better?It is a 2 man job to put the top down on these.I am planning to have a new top put on my car sometime soon,if i can find someone i can trust to do a good job,nothing worse then paying someone to do a poor job.attached is a picture of one that was in a movie in 1937,called the affairs of cappy rick,poor picture of the boot?would love to see the movie.  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

INTMD8

Wow, very meticulous work, it is turning out excellent.

I'm not familiar with these cars, would you mind explaining what happens with the b-pillar when the top is down?

Steve Passmore

No Harvey, they did not use 'Turn Buckle fasteners' the book clearly states snap fasteners, anyway, I'm going to try and post these pictures, their sure to loose some clarity but here goes. Interesting to note there's 2 sets of instructions for different models of sedan convertibles.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Tesone

Thanks again Steve . I've passed this new information & photos on to my upholsterers . Steve - one of the pictures you posted is of page 19 of your reference book . At the very bottom of the picture I think it says "Series 70 and 80" and something else that was cut off from the picture . Perhaps the words  "convertible sedan" ? Does the other picture, which doesn't have a page number refer to a 60 series ? One last thing . I notice that the 70 & 80 series photo shows a dust boot that is very neat and form fitting with snaps showing and probably some sort of base layer of foam to help maintain its shape. I have seen photos of 60 series boots that do not have that same neat form , but rather appear as a loose single layer of fabric . Some show snaps , some don't . However ,these were not photos from original documents such as yours are . Do you think that the more formal larger series cars would have had the reinforced form fitting boot while the smaller 50 series LaSalles and 60 series cadillacs wouldn't ? As always , Thanks . .. Paul ...... Jim - to answer your question - the pillars are secured with bolts  to the top rail and the frame between the doors . When the top is down , the pillars are removed and stored . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Steve Passmore

Your right on most counts there Paul. The smaller series cars use a different top mechanism probably to do with the longer chassis and the smaller type not being up to the longer reach.  Both pictures are for convertible sedans.  I included that picture because I wasn't sure what type you had.  these pictures are actually from an original 1936 manual but when checking my 37 and 38 re print books its the identical pictures carried over.
I have no way of knowing if they pad out the boots with anything, I would have to say no, as foam wasn't around then, and they would have had to use Hog or Horse hair which would be quite messy and the boot would become a cumbersome item to stow.  My guess is their just nicely fitted.  Good luck.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Tesone

Got the car back from the upholsterers yesterday . Used Steve Passmore's information ( thank you again Steve ) regarding the number and location of the snaps for the top & boot. They are all hidden within the fabric .I couldn't get a photo with the top up - it's a two man job and I didn't have a second pair of hands . I'll do that soon . Now I need some advice about the color of the metal that supports the rear of the rear license plate and the metal rods that support the side mount tire cover . The picture of the side mounted tire is not great , but what you are looking at is inside ( body side ) of the side mount cover and the metal rods supporting it . Should they be body color , black ( flat, semi gloss ) or other ? I'll post this question in the authenticity section also . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Paul Tesone

I'm pleased to report that the car SEEMS to be finished except for a couple of insignificant cosmetic issues . Time to share some photos . Thanks to all who have helped me along this journey . A special thanks to Lou Commisso for help with the paint formula , to Steve Passmore who has gone out of his way to provide me with technical assistance , to Ralph at Keleen Leather who patiently helped me choose the correct red color , to Scott Bigelow of Scott's Custom Built Parts in Plainville , MA who did all my mechanical work , body work and painting , and to Kustom Kreations in North Reading , MA who did all the upholstery .....Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

A few more . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Harvey - I forgot to mention your very important contribution . Harvey Bowness provided me with photos and dimensions of original door panels  - information that was essential for my upholsterers to correctly reproduce the stitching . Thanks Harvey .....Paul Tesone CLC #6876

52Cadillac

She really looks good Paul. Long hard work paid off. See you at Lake George next summer?
Funny, the choice of yard art looks familiar in the second to last pic.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Paul Tesone

Thanks Mike - Yes , hope to be at Lake George . How did you ever notice that statue ? Your eyes are too good . Please tell me you WON'T be a judge at Lake George . ... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876