News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Six-Way Power Seats

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, July 05, 2011, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

As part of replacing the electrical system on my '62 Eldorado (thanks Naragansett Reproductions), I just installed the harness that controls my 6-way power seats.  Unfortunately I have discovered that the power mechanism isn't working right (horizontal won't work either direction, tilt works in one direction not the other).  It clicks but doesn't move in the troubled directions.  So now I know its the solenoid and cables.  Are these fixable, or should I just try to find a new unit?  Is the '62 solenoid/motor interchangable with any other years?

I have to laugh -- all this work to deal with the harness only to find that the mechanism doesn't work right.  Arrghh.

Thanks.

Gary

cadillactim

If you're sure the harness is correct, and connected properly, I would first check the seat switch.  A faulty transmission will work in none, two, or four positions.  If forward works, backward will work, tilt up works, tilt down will work, etc.  When you have an odd number of positions working, the switch or wiring is usually the problem.  The switch controls the transmission solenoids and the seat motor relay.  If the seat motor works in any position, the motor is probably okay.  If the motor runs at all, the relay is okay.  Part of the switch contacts can be bad, which can cause power to go the motor, but not the transmission solenoid, and vice versa.  When a cable is bad there will be binding on the seat travel, as one cable would be working with the other side bad.  First place I would check is the seat switch.   Tim
Tim Groves

Edward Kenny

The power seat in my '62 will not go forward or backward, but the other 4 directions work fine. I hear a click when I try to move the seat forward or backward, but get nothing else. Is this a solenoid issue?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like a Solenoid issue to me.

They do burn out.

The best way to check is to physically check by removing the cables and operating each one with a battery drill, but move them the same amount before connecting them back up.

The one in the picture worked exactly like you said, and when I stripped it down, the Solenoid had internally melted the plastic, not allowing the plunger to move.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Thanks for the advice.  I can see that the plastic bushings on the cables coming out of the solenoid are broken and the unit "torques" when I'm engaging the switch.  It's as if the cables get stuck.  I'll focus first on the switch, but I think it's the solenoid.  I get the aforementioned clicking too.

It looks like I'll be pulling the seat out.

cadillactim

If you can see the cable try to turn, then the solenoid is working.  Unscrew the cable from the seat track on both sides, then see if the cable spins free.  If so, then the gear on the seat track is stuck.  You can do this first before you take the seat out.  If the cable still won't spin disconnected from the seat track, then the gear is stuck in the transmission (which is rare).  Tim
Tim Groves