News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Wet Behind The Ears Newbie Can't Wait!

Started by Hawkeye999, June 13, 2013, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye999

Just want to say thanks in advance for all of you who might be helping this newbie out in the future. This is my first ever 1959 Caddy (a project car) that I am picking up in about a week and I can't sleep just thinking about it sitting in my garage soon!  For those of you with a lot of seniority in the group, remember what it was like when you were in my shoes?  I’m guessing that the degree of excitement I’m feeling right now will level off somewhat in the coming years, but will never leave….  Thanks for letting me in.  I am reminded, however, about Groucho Marx’s comment that he didn’t want to join any club that would have him for a member….. JHales
1959:  THE year for both man and machine......

Chris Conklin

Congratulations! The car seems to not be in too much need. Welcome to the club. Start shopping for manuals on eBay. I don't think there is an Authenticity Manual for the '59s yet. And I would say that your excitement will eventually give way to great satisfaction when driving any Cadillac.
Chris Conklin

Hawkeye999

Thanks for the welcome, Chris.  The exterior is in pretty good shape but the interior............ I already received NOS samples from SMS auto fabrics and am probably going to have them do the door panels, with the rest done by a local upholsterer (I'm hoping).  Wondering about the armrests though since I suspect that is a pretty specialized process.   The "fun" stuff began yesterday when I started shopping for some replacement glass (both front doors) and am learning all about E-Z-Eyes, including date codes, etc., and decided I would rather have used originals, of course, but then the seller told me he doesn't think it looks tinted. ???  The accessory codes have an "E", but I realize there could have been replacements done in the last 50 years.  This is really the first test for me as to how important it is to use only original parts with matching numbers (for those parts that are coded).  Bottom line is I need the glass all around to look the same at least, but I'm kind of stumped on how to do that ahead of my trip to pick up the car 700 miles away (my dream has always been to pick up my first '59 big fin Cadillac and drive it home -- but I probably can't get the temp tags to do that with cracked glass). Anyway, the other test is still to be passed regarding a cigarette lighter replacement.  Do I get the $20 unit that is an 8/10 but the seller says is not show-worthy; or do I spend $38 on one that is in pristine condition.  The bigger question, of course, is am I looking to end with a show car or a driver???  I have to temper enthusiasm with peace and harmony in the home.  I mean, come on, if my wife knew I was thinking about spending $38 on a cigarette lighter......... :o

MB49Caddy

Welcome to the mix! I recenty purchased a 1949 and these cars are cool...and H U G E! That is what I love about them.
It should be a frustating but fun journey.  I look forward to reading your inputs here.
Regards,
MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Hawkeye999

Thank you kindly, MB.  I have always said that life is about the journey, not the end.  Your quote about eternity vs. the here-and-now is absolutely right on.  Of course, my firm belief in this principle is bound to be tested -- one might say severely tested -- as this wonderful automobile is brought back to the glory it once knew since it is natural to want to look ahead to what the finished product will be.  I understand, in my head at least, that it is just an inanimate object but my heart tells me that a big fin beauty like my 1959 is sooooo much more......... ;D

Louis Smith

Quote from: Hawkeye999 on June 13, 2013, 07:07:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Chris.  The exterior is in pretty good shape but the interior............ I already received NOS samples from SMS auto fabrics and am probably going to have them do the door panels, with the rest done by a local upholsterer (I'm hoping).  Wondering about the armrests though since I suspect that is a pretty specialized process.   The "fun" stuff began yesterday when I started shopping for some replacement glass (both front doors) and am learning all about E-Z-Eyes, including date codes, etc., and decided I would rather have used originals, of course, but then the seller told me he doesn't think it looks tinted. ???  The accessory codes have an "E", but I realize there could have been replacements done in the last 50 years.  This is really the first test for me as to how important it is to use only original parts with matching numbers (for those parts that are coded).  Bottom line is I need the glass all around to look the same at least, but I'm kind of stumped on how to do that ahead of my trip to pick up the car 700 miles away (my dream has always been to pick up my first '59 big fin Cadillac and drive it home -- but I probably can't get the temp tags to do that with cracked glass). Anyway, the other test is still to be passed regarding a cigarette lighter replacement.  Do I get the $20 unit that is an 8/10 but the seller says is not show-worthy; or do I spend $38 on one that is in pristine condition.  The bigger question, of course, is am I looking to end with a show car or a driver???  I have to temper enthusiasm with peace and harmony in the home.  I mean, come on, if my wife knew I was thinking about spending $38 on a cigarette lighter......... :o

The short answer is "Money dictates everything".  Only you can decide how much you want to budget to the entire project.  Take things in steps.  First and foremost get the car safe and reliable, then deal with the details.  Keep in mind, that there really is no hurry.  If you read the posts, you will see that many if not most have spent years getting their car to the state they desired.

Hawkeye999

Wise words indeed that I will try and take to heart and temper my enthusiasm with a small dose of reality while not sacrificing any of the fantasy :D

Davidinhartford

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the group!

Don't worry about time frames and budget.   Not everyone here has deep pockets.    Many of us (myself included) have to restore our old Cads in steps.   You can see many projects in the "Restoration" thread, both large and small.   In fact,  alot of guys like these threads with restoration photos and tips because it helps us all out who have similar cars.      Because in many cases there can be another club member who has seen it or done it before and can give you tips.    Parts advice,   vendor info and tech tips.    Not everyone has all the shop manuals and wiring diagrams too.   Alot is online or a fellow club member has them and can post photos or links.   The Club message board is a huge resource!

Be sure to share photos with us.  Enjoy!

52Cadillac

59 one of my Fav years. No seniority here, but my kids say I'm old.
Welcome, and join the club.The homepage has the details on the Grand National in Boston this year. We would love to see the car there.
There's also a huge vendor list you could probably use from time to time.
http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,5742.msg70083.html#msg70083
Later, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on June 14, 2013, 06:15:47 AM
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the group!

Don't worry about time frames and budget.   Not everyone here has deep pockets.    Many of us (myself included) have to restore our old Cads in steps.   You can see many projects in the "Restoration" thread, both large and small.   In fact,  alot of guys like these threads with restoration photos and tips because it helps us all out who have similar cars.      Because in many cases there can be another club member who has seen it or done it before and can give you tips.    Parts advice,   vendor info and tech tips.    Not everyone has all the shop manuals and wiring diagrams too.   Alot is online or a fellow club member has them and can post photos or links.   The Club message board is a huge resource!

Be sure to share photos with us.  Enjoy!

What he said.

Hawkeye999

Thanks much to Louis, Mike and David.  I'm not the kind of guy who dips his toe into the pool first, and I am sufficiently encouraged to take on this new life endeavor cannonball-style. :o  One early success story already.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a good one for the"lessons learned" category. The short version is that I didn't jump on the $38 show-quality cigarette lighter, nor the 8/10 quality unit for $20.  Then last night I stumbled on a pair of them "in perfect shape" on ebay with an opening bid of $15 and buy-it-now for $25. I snapped them up and am now eagerly looking forward to finding them in my mailbox soon.  So the lessons? 

1.  Patience is most definitely a virtue when it comes to parts-hunting frustrations.

2.  When the right one comes along, like my wife, "he who hesitates is lost."  I can't imagine the pins and needles that would have resulted had I tried to save $10 by just going with the opening bid and then waiting around for 5 days 22 hours and 11 minutes........ for a friggin' lighter.

3.   I now have an extra lighter just in case, and might either sell it or keep it around for the psychological impact and additional piece of mind it provides for almost no $. 

4.  Knowing that the existing lighter doesn't have a knob, I would have been thinking about that dang thing over my right shoulder (at least subconsciously) every time I tooled down the road, so it is absolutely terrific to check that off my list and move onto the next......

Thanks again,
Jim