News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1964 CDV 14K original miles?

Started by jwwseville60, September 14, 2023, 09:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

Here we have another claimed low mileage car. $34 asking price.

It's very nice, but I suspect it might be a cosmetic resto on a 114K mile chassis.(?)
It took a whack in the rear bumper, and the right side tail light housing is pushed in.
The drivers door looks like a different shade.
The leather looks modern. I had a 1963 black interior...it was a lot shinier.
Someone rattle canned the entire engine bay. A red flag to me.
Pedals are a mystery. I cant tell.
Intake manifold looks crusty.
There is wear on the steering column and dash...maybe from damp storage.
I applaud Hollywood motors for the high def pictures.
Opinions?

https://www.hollywoodmotorsusa.com/vehicles/1358/1964-cadillac-coupe-deville

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

V63

Interior and carpet appear original and legit to me. The description about the 4 sp transmission is incorrect. The car has a factory vinyl roof "TOP 60", but that's not a black top?

badpoints

It is a beautiful car, but what is up with the glove compartment. Looks like they had it shut with duct tape at one time. Why wouldn't they fix the glove box before trying to sell.

jwwseville60

Be advised that this car is also for sale on Classic Car Deals for $40K.
What nonsense is this?
Deep sea trolling for suckers?

Lifetime CLC

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with the above on the upholstery however there's some deterioration on the steering column and pitting on chrome bits that wouldn't normally be expected with that kind of mileage but a lot can happen after decades of damp storage. I cannot determine if the front fender bolts have been painted over from the pictures provided which would provide a valuable clue on whether the car had been repainted.

Pitting is clearly visible in the picture of the LR bumper. The bumper end on the opposite side is pushed in at top while the gap toward the bottom is closer to what it should be (see below). There's also a good sized dent on the rear bumper center section.

Top color 60 (black) appears to check out.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jwwseville60

Front fender bolts were painted over.

I called the dealer.
He said there's no paperwork at all.
The drivers door looks odd because they repainted both left side fenders and didnt blend it.
He doesnt know why the owner never fixed the rear bumpers.
He swears the interior is all original. Hmmm....
Lifetime CLC

Quote from: jwwseville60 on September 14, 2023, 10:14:50 AMFront fender bolts were painted over.

I was referring to the line of bolts over the top mounting flanges (front to rear) where body color is. The heads of the bolts and washers would have been gold cadmium originally.   

Cadman-iac

Another thing to look at is the odometer. If you notice that the numbers do not line up evenly across the main part like the trip meter does. That's typical of an odometer that has been removed and messed with.

Screenshot_20230914-075126_Samsung Internet.jpg

Rick

Edit: Also the left door jamb where they show the engine tag has a big crack in the seam sealer, which looks odd to me. Compare the right jamb to the left, you can see the difference. And the door looks like it doesn't match up with the quarter panel from the chrome side trim upwards. Something is off there.

Screenshot_20230914-075012_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230914-075257_Samsung Internet.jpg
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

Now something I'm not positive about is the door lock cylinder retainer color. I think it's supposed to be a black color, but the one on the drivers door is painted the same as the body.
Does anybody know what it's supposed to look like?

Rick

Screenshot_20230914-080430_Samsung Internet.jpg
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 14, 2023, 11:04:16 AMNow something I'm not positive about is the door lock cylinder retainer color. I think it's supposed to be a black color, but the one on the drivers door is painted the same as the body.
Does anybody know what it's supposed to look like?

Rick

Painted over in body color is factory correct.

jwwseville60

The real question is...how much is it worth despite all the bad things?
Hard to find good ones that aren't a basket case or slammed to the ground modified.
Lifetime CLC

Bryan J Moran

99% of the dealers I reach out to on cars of interest - all brands - never have any history with the car. I believe many throw the records away, seriously.  I just bought a 2007 Mazda Miata from a PRIAVE SELLER and have a manilla folder full of records. 

One more reason not to trust dealers and the nonsense they spew out like this car.  Yes, I am painting with a broad brush.  Some dealers are honest and forthright but their detailed narrative usually comes with the car ad. 
CLC 35000 in number only

V63

I've had a lot of old mechanical odometers and I havnt had much confidence in the number drums lining up perfectly. I take it with a grain of salt.

What is fairly common is a mechanical speedometer or odometer gear drive that fails and the car is driven for years that way.

billyoung

I was looking carefully but I could not see if the car still retained it's factory T3 headlights at 14,000 miles it should. Also the hood hinges should retain some of the factory Nickel Cad gold tone plating. In any case I think this car is priced way too high. Typical dealer crap, they think everything is worth a fortune.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.