News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heater hose hookup

Started by Rich Gagliardi, December 09, 2005, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Gagliardi

HI was woudering if any one could explain the way to hookup the heater hoses on my 39 lasalle V8. Which way does the water flow?

HELP! Rich G.#21688

Porter 21919

Rich,

1939 Lasalle, very cool ride.

Ive never owned anything older than a 65 Chevy but the cooling system always pushes the coolant from the waterpump to the heater core and back to the radiator on all my old cars.

Ive only ever owned one flathead engine, a straight six Greymarine model 109 vintage 1959, ran like a Swiss watch. it had no radiator, it was ocean cooled.

Im sure one of the flathead Lasalle experts circa 1939 can give you a more definitive answer.

Porter (just ranting, per my reputation as a ranter)

John Washburn

Rich,

The shut off valve for the heater is located on the passenger side of the head, just above number 8. So I assume that this is the intake to the heater.

If not it really does not matter. You just need to have a shut off valve for the summer months.

Im working on a 39 LaSalle so if you want some pictures or such drop me a note.

John Washburn
A close personel friend of Porter
Elizabeth, Colorado
CLC #1067

JIM CLC # 15000

12-09-05
Rich, Not 100percent sure, but can tell you how it is/was routed on my 38 La Salle. John is correct in that the shut-off valve is on the rear of the passenger side head. that hose goes to the bottom connection of the heater, And the hose from the top of the heater goes to the water-pump. The reason for being plumbed in this manner is that the water is hotter at the rear of the engine and by having it enter the bottom of the heater, it makes for a self-bleeding system to get rid of the air in the system. HTH
Good Luck, Jim