News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

carter 2 barrel #460S

Started by zogman66, June 16, 2015, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zogman66

I recently broke a steel tubing from the bottom middle of carburetor to the distributor. I think its a vacuum line. For a temporary solution, I am using a 3/8" brake line tubing. I now have a problem with a fast idle. I also noticed that when I reinstalled the carb, the spring attachment rod that goes to the gas pedal and bottom of carb under the choke cover may be out of adjustment. I guess my question is, can either or both of my issues be the problem with my fast idling?

Tim Herzog

Jon S

Don't know what year car you have, but if the accelerator rod is too short when attached to the carburetor it will force the plates open and give you a fast idle.  The temporary fix to the vacuum advance line should have no effect.  Why did the length of the accelerator rod change?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

zogman66

Yes this is a 1940 LaSalle. I recently took off the carburetor to have it serviced. When reinstalling it, the adjustment on the throttle pedal rod may have changed.  Since the rod has adjustment threads, I will add or subtract a few turns and see how if affects the throttle adjust screw. Also good to hear about the vacuum line. Thanks Jon & Joe. Really appreciate your input and fast responses.

Jon S

It sounds like you need to make it a speck longer - count in 1 turn increments so you know where you started from.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT