News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer question

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, September 30, 2019, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just when you think you have seen most everything a car can throw at you something new comes along. 1976 CDV with cruise control.  The FIRST start up in the day the speedometer and the odometer are dead in the water, at 0 and not moving.  After about a mile or so the thing wakes up and performs flawlessly with no shudder and is accurate (per GPS app).  All the cable connections are tight. Once the speedo wakes up regardless of the stops and starts it stays working.
Any ideas out there?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Big Fins

Sure Greg. Just like you and I, we are all taking a while longer to wake up and get moving!  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Big Fins on September 30, 2019, 06:24:29 PM
Sure Greg. Just like you and I, we are all taking a while longer to wake up and get moving!  ;)
Well said.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac Fleetwood

I suspect that the transducer (which is positioned between the two segments of the speedometer cable) has worn gears inside it.  The cable from the transmission drives a gear at the input to the transducer, which in turn drives a gear to turn the output (i.e. the cable from the transducer to the speedometer).

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Charles
The gears are in constant mesh. This “lazy ness” is consistently the first thing in the AM. The slowdown works perfectly once awake regardless of the number of stops and restarts during the day.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

wrench

Don’t know specifically about  your vehicle’s type of speedometer, but they used to use a magnetic coupling between the cable gearbox and the indicator needle. The indicator side has a hairspring that dampens the movement of the needle and you could have a need for lubrication of the indicator mechanism or there could be a magnetic hysteresis issue with the actual magnetic coupling.

Someone who actually deals with these can probably assist with it, there may be topics here about speedo repair/lube. You may be able to fix/lube it yourself.

My opinion about speedo repairs is that is a specialized service and a 50 year old unit would probably benefit from a full service, sorta like a clock does.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

chrisntam

Do like I do and just start hangin' parts!

;)

Ok, maybe not.  I'd pull the speedo cable at the trans to be sure the driven gear is ok and maybe look at the drive gear.  Cables are likely ok, that leaves the transducer or speedo head. 

If your transducer is the same as on my '70, I'm pretty sure I have an extra I can send you as a loaner to see if that helps.  Just let me know.  The extra one I have seemed to "hunt" a bit once set, but the speedo reading has always been consistent.

My guess is the speedo head.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Schuman

The square end of the cable at the transmission fits inside the mating square hole in the gear driven by the transmission. If that square hole wears enough, it does not reliably drive the cable. Gave me fits on my 41 years ago, may be your problem, too.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

TJ Hopland

I'm betting its in the head.   I don't see any of the other possibilities brought up fitting his description of only being a problem first drive of the day and ones it starts working its perfectly steady.   Gear and cable problems are not going to be that consistent and would likely quickly degrade. 

I don't know the inner workings of the head but I could see some 50 year old grease on the needle side of things being sticky so it takes some tugging to break free from its resting place.  I can also see it taking some time for it to stick again so that is why it works all day.    Gotta be someone here that has been into these and knows how big a job it is to clean and lube them up. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Please note that the odometer does not "wake up" until the speedo does. I was of the mind that the odometer was directly driven. Oh the mysteries of life.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

Ya you would think the odo would just be a gear reduction sort of thing.   I wonder if maybe its got something to do with the one way action that I assume a 76 would have?    The thing where you can't just put the car in reverse and take miles off?   Maybe its that clutch sort of thing that is causing all the issues?   Does the speedo work in reverse on a 76?  If so that would be more complexity and things to not age well. 

Hmm...  makes me want to go take one apart and see what is going on in there. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on October 02, 2019, 04:07:33 PM
Please note that the odometer does not "wake up" until the speedo does. I was of the mind that the odometer was directly driven. Oh the mysteries of life. Greg Surfas 
To answer that question, yes.   The Odometer and Trip Meter are directly driven by the speedo cable.

Notice that the main driven gear shaft is at the back of the speedo frame, and is driven directly by the cable.   The Magnetic Ring that actuates the needle is way ahead of the ODO drive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Well,
I did/didn't do it.  I just pulled the three ends of the speedometer cables loose (transmission input and output at the cruise transducer), checked the ends checked to see the cables and the transducer were free and rotating, and then put it back together. Seems like the gremlin was chased away when it saw me coming, everything works as it should. Another victory for the dis/re (disassemble, re assemble) school of mechanics.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

chrisntam

Good to hear.  The disassemble/reassemble worked for me on the wipers.  Wipers didn't work, pulled the electrical connector on the motor, plugged it back and magically, they work!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas