News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

How to remove the clock adjuster "handle" twister thingy

Started by skinny_tom, April 06, 2022, 09:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinny_tom

I have my clock out and am glad to see that the electric winder mechanism works great. (Also has not power to the clock, but that's a different day.)

My 1965 Caddy got damp a long time ago and I'm getting all the electrics up and running again. The adjustment mech for the clock seems a bit stiff. Actually, it seems really stiff. So I opened the clock and the solenoid winds the little mechanism nicely. Except that it seems there is enough drag to prevent the clock from running more than a few, sometimes a dozen cycles of the balance before it stops running. If I help it along by applying a bit of rotational force to help the spring, I can keep it running. I've cleaned the mechanism with contact cleaner, and all the accessible shafts, gears and springs move freely, but I'm weary to soak the shafts where they pass through the face for fear of getting cleaner inside the clock face. And I feel like this is where the drag is.

The little knurled knob on the adjustment shaft needs to come off so that I can remove the assembly from the housing, but I can't get it off so far. And I'm a bit afraid to apply a lot of force for two reasons; 1) I don't if I should pull on it or twist it and 2) if I damage anything I'm likely to have to spend $$ for a replacement.

Anyone have a tip?

- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

fishnjim

Can't enlarge this image to be sure, but there should be a small screw slot in the center of the knob, that you unscrew.   Need a "tweaker" screw driver for that.   

The Tassie Devil(le)

Having worked on a few car clocks, including the one in my '72, the knob is threaded onto the shaft.

The only way to remove it is to grasp the shaft tightly, so as to not allow it to slip, and then turn the knob anti-clockwise, and unscrew it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Cadillac

Hi Tom, I recently had difficulties with my '66 clock and sent it off to Jerry at Clock Works. It now runs like new and keeps excellent time.

Regards, John

Moody

I had the same problem. I soaked it in light machine oil and let it sit for a couple days. The brass and moisture causes light corrosion. Cleaned it out with contact cleaner and lightly oiled it and the clock ran fine. Also soaked the knob, and it threaded off.
Moody

skinny_tom

Quote from: Moody on April 07, 2022, 10:55:35 AM
I had the same problem. I soaked it in light machine oil and let it sit for a couple days. The brass and moisture causes light corrosion. Cleaned it out with contact cleaner and lightly oiled it and the clock ran fine. Also soaked the knob, and it threaded off.

Thanks. I put a dab of break free stuff on the knob yesterday. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

skinny_tom

As a follow-up in case this shows up in some search down the road.

I was able to disassemble the clock case without removing the knurled knob. Once out of the case I was able to get a better grip on the adjustment shaft and put a light amount of mechanical advantage on it. The knob unscrewed easily.

The servo winding unit was in good shape. Someone else had already rebuilt it a long time ago as noted by the exchange phone number. I lightly filed the contacts. However, it wouldn't stay running more than a few "ticks" so I further disassembled the clock, cleaned the mechanism with contact cleaner and oiled it with 3-in-1 (pretty much the lightest oil available in my small-ish town.)

I have a 13.1v power supply on the bench, so I connected it and ran it for a few days without issue. Installed it and off we go.

- Tom -
1965 Eldorado