News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Man that car cleans up nice.
Very nice work.
Roy

Doug Houston

I once had a '61 DeV convertible for a daily driver. It was Tunis beige, looking like this color, but surely a similar special color.

On the rear skegs, David Holls once told me that the tail lights were originally intended to be part of the skeg. As can be easily seen, a piece of bumper stock terminated that feature in production cars.

There was another interesting story about Walter Hagen and a 1030 Vi6 roadster that my father related. He knew Hagen. Won't tell about it now.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

N Kahn

Quote from: Doug Houston on February 01, 2013, 03:56:33 PM
I once had a '61 DeV convertible for a daily driver. It was Tunis beige, looking like this color, but surely a similar special color.

On the rear skegs, David Holls once told me that the tail lights were originally intended to be part of the skeg. As can be easily seen, a piece of bumper stock terminated that feature in production cars.

There was another interesting story about Walter Hagen and a 1030 Vi6 roadster that my father related. He knew Hagen. Won't tell about it now.

If you have any information about this car maybe having been Walter Hagen's I would love to know, I'm still coming up zip.

N Kahn

Here's the start of the hubcaps, I got all the pieces waterjetted. I have to drill tap and polish each of these 56 ribs as well as polish and drill 12 rings. I gotta run a decorative rib down the center of each blade and then assemble everything to the stock hubcaps.
I've got my work cut out for me but I really wanna have a decent replica of the original caps fitted to this unique car.

Quentin Hall

Nadeem, Are you gonna put jagged extendable axle shafts ala James Bond (and Wacky Racers) to eliminate any rival competitions tires on the judging field ? I still can't quite believe how well preserved this car is despite the apparent lack of knowledge of it's important history by the previous owner .
         I know this was one of the first discussions you had with the car, restore or preserve. Well you are doing both. I am so glad you are doing it this way because there are elements that would be lost forever with a show car 100 point resto.
         Hope to see the car in the metal one day. Regards. Q     
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

veesixteen

Great work, Nadeem.  What are you using as a model for the missing wheel covers?  Do you have good photos of the originals? Are they anything like the selection of "Custom wheels from Show Cars" illustrated at the end of  the "Cadillac Database" - http://www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/mascotsg.htm ?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

N Kahn

Here are pic of the original caps.
Save the images and blow them up you can make out the details fairly well.

INTMD8

This car will be even more epic if you can get those hubcaps put together! Looking forward to the results.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The pics of the car in the famous GM courtyard are fascinating. I had only seen the one full broadside pic before. 

Nevertheless, it will be no small achievement if you can replicate the original design of those show hubcaps. Your ingenuity and steadfast dedication are truly inspirational. 

*Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the show caps, appearance wise? 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

N Kahn

Here's one built not screwed to the original cap or polished yet. they lack the delicacy and finesse of the originals and they are heavy. What am I gonna do?

Quentin Hall

N        They will look sensational once done but I think instead of watercut alum for the uprights, you should be folding out of .75 or even .55 mirror stainless to keep the look and also to keep the weight down. The  shape will be quite rigid and especially so once riveted together. If you are going to polish and chrome the alum then they will be heavier still , plus the cost and labour intensive. If you made a temp off the alum and fold it out you would carefully cut them by hand with tinsnips. Your sheemetal shop would easily fold them.
           There are nice steps in the design to fold inward tabs to get screw fixings into the inner ring and also to hide raw cut edges. Never easy but a good start. I probably wouldn't do 80mph down the turnpike with them on though regardless. No windtunnel tests were done on those babies I am sure.  I made a bunch of the  little SS fins for my old 59 Eldo caps which are held in with PK screws. If I wasn't so far away I'd say send me over a inner and outer ring and let me have a go. Does someone in the club own a Lear jet like Wayne Corrini's friends all seem to have ?? Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

N Kahn

For sure that's the way to do it,  should have taken weight into account but I didn't, they'll will have to be static displays until I can make another set. I can reuse the rings and cones.

N Kahn

I know they're only kinda close but they'll work, I'm going to screw them through the center of the original caps so that they can be removed and installed instantly for show display, they really are too heavy to run. Now I've got to polish and assemble them all, I'm in for some serious work.

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/Rumblernads/hubcapsjt_zps770024b8.jpg[/IMG

N Kahn

I slapped them on the car to see how they look, and they look alright, but even now with only 7 blades instead of 14 they still weigh about 4 lbs. I have A friend who does stainless kitchens and he's looking into making the blades out of 20GA stainless, this will knock the weight right down plus I can weld the pieces together and cut out all the hardware.

The hubcaps do need a 4th ring at the very back and upon closer inspection of the GM factory pictures I can see that they had one originally

N Kahn

They didn't stick out this far, I admit failure, back to the drawing board.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: N Kahn on February 15, 2013, 09:06:34 AM
They didn't stick out this far, I admit failure, back to the drawing board. 

Not a failure, but a "design compilation", and "Hub Cap Mark 1".

You will get it right by Mark 9. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

N Kahn

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 15, 2013, 07:42:45 PM
Not a failure, but a "design compilation", and "Hub Cap Mark 1".

You will get it right by Mark 9. ;)

Bruce. >:D

Bruce, I hope it goes no further than Mk2 otherwise I'm headed for the loony bin.

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on October 09, 2012, 10:52:05 PM
That's not very nice.   Nadeem has been very upfront with us with the documentation and restoration photos.  A fascinating read for us.   How often does a lost showcar surface?    And some of you have been less than polite here.

Gentlemen please be gentlemen.   

I am half way through reading this most interesting thread, and have a couple of comments and one question.

-It is with amusement that I have noticed some very minor bickering among some posters.  Suffice it to say, this is very common on most, if not all message boards and forums.  This is due mostly because of the lack of "emotion" being shown with the post.  I am sure that if people were sitting around a table with their favorite beverage, the bickering would be non existent.

-With all the unbelievable and superb posts, concerning this car, I think the nation would be in great appreciation if everyone form a task force to study the Kennedy assassination.  There has been more accurate and documented on this car, in the last 4 months, then in the last 50 years of the Kennedy assassination!  Might I suggest a meeting at the grassy knoll?

-When this piece of history is finally ready for showing and judging, what class will it be in?  The modified class?

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on October 12, 2012, 07:39:41 AM
Yes, I was kidding about the license plates. Lets not get so serious.
Nice car and a very interesting story.
Roy

Even I run an illegal plate on the front of my car. 1978 plate.

Illegal license plate?  I think it might depend on what state you are in, and I don't mean the state of confusion.  Many states that have only a rear license plate, don't really care what is on the front license plate.  Many times you will see, what appears to be a real license plate, but really isn't.

Louis Smith