News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Road trip!

Started by 35-709, April 28, 2024, 09:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

35-709

Getting Big Red ready to do a weeklong organized road rally (Freedom Road Rally) for stock or modified older cars, starting (this time) in Texarkana, Arkansas.  Leaving Vero Beach, FL this coming Thursday with two other "resto-mods", a '56 Chevy PU and a '39 Chevy PU (all of us members of the local AACA region), and meeting up with another local AACA friend out there in his '49 Chevy Fleetline coupe who is leaving tomorrow to do some other touring on the way. 
~ 2200 miles out and back and another 900 or so on the tour itself.  The kind of touring I enjoy and one of the reasons I built Big Red.  Should bring B.R.'s mileage up to about 37/38,000 since finished.  B.R. has never let me down or stranded, minor glitches now and then, but nothing that ever prevented him from getting me home no matter where we were.

The old boy has been everything I wanted or hoped he would be.  He has driven my wife and me in air conditioned comfort from Florida to the St. Augustine GN, the Boston GN, the Lake George, NY GN and the Washington, DC GN.  Big Red won 2nd place in Modified at the Washington show, not bad for a driver.  He has been to Indianapolis to see my great-grandson and then do the Frog Follies car show up that way (https://frogfollies.org/) on the way home.  Will also be doing the "Cruisin the Coast" rod run (https://cruisinthecoast.com/) next October, gotta do this stuff while I still can.

This will be the third Freedom Road Rally B.R. has been on, first was an Adirondacks tour, last year was Ohio which the organizer is repeating this year.  Missed the Branson, Missouri tour a couple of years ago. You all can check out the Freedom Road Rally at   www.freedomroadrally.com  Probably not too late to get on any of them except possibly the one coming up next week.  For those who like to drive your stock  Cadillacs, or resto-mods, these tours are great fun and learning experiences.

Big Red behind my '73 Caribou, now owned by my sister and brother-in-law, at the beginning of the Adirondack Road Rally.  The temporary signs on the side of the cars show us to be participants in the road rally.
IMG_0613.jpg

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carfreak

Geoff,

Sounds like a fun time!  Drive safe and enjoy. 

Feel free to share pics when you are back home. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Geoff,

Nothing like a driving rally, and half the fun is getting there, no matter how far away it is.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon