News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Wiring Radio for 1951 Cadillac

Started by guiseppe, June 10, 2013, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guiseppe

Hello all, I am looking for some guidance. I have a '51 Series 62 Sedan that is all original EXCEPT for a nasty cheapo am/fm cassette radio. I finally was able to buy an original radio but here's my dilemma. I am unsure on how to wire it in. The old radio is out, and the wires were marked such as battery, electric antenna (the antenna had been replaced with an electric one), and also had a 12 volt booster inline. I have removed the booster as my car is all still 6 volt. So far, I have connected the antenna cable lead into the original radio, and installed the 3 prong wire for the foot radio station changer. The original radio came marked with three wires. One is marked "rear speaker", the other is "light switch-dial light", and the last one is marked "B+ ignition". I have connected the "rear speaker" wire to the wire for the rear speaker. But, I am unsure of the rest of the wiring, i.e., does the "light switch-dial light" wire get wired in with the ignition wire and the electric antenna wire, etc. Any help would be, as usual, greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Joe Paglino

Warren Rauch #4286

Some of the Guys that know Radios better ,often pickup these questions. Since they may be gone to the Boston show ,I'll try to help. I looked up 1951 radios and there were several.So it would help to know the model. From the Installation bulletin (6D-1051), it says "The"A" lead (black) connects to the accessory terminal  of the ignition switch. The dial light wire (brown) connects to the wiring harness of the car." The picture shows the dial wire connecting to a push in connector, I would guess that is part of the harness. There isn't any mention of a "B" wire in the installation or radio bulletins . There are several (about 5) different radios for 50-51-52.If you need the antenna trimmer or tube info ,it would be easier to photo copy ,but I would need the model number.Warren

guiseppe

Hello Warren: thanks for the assistance. I will try these combinations. If you hear a sizzle and smell a puff of smoke you know I wired it wrong. Thanks, Joe Paglino