News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 CDV Crankshaft Pulley Color and Harmonic Balancer?

Started by www.eldorado-seville.com, November 18, 2016, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

www.eldorado-seville.com

Cadillac friends - I need your opinion!
I'm cleaning up the engine bay of my 74 CDV with the 472 engine over the winter and have already painted most of the parts.
One part I still have to clean up is the crankshaft pulley.
I always thought it should be blue, but I could not find enough evidence of blue on the pulley and the harmonic balancer - only some light overspray...
The pulley seems to be black - I have found quite a lot of remaining black paint on it? Is this correct? It looks like the harmonic balancer was not painted at all and left bare metal and had only some overspray on the edges?
Did they install the harmonic balancer and pulley after the engine was painted?
My theory is that they installed a black pulley over the non painted harmonic balancer and then sprayed the engine and the pulley only got some light overspray... Its only a theory though from the evidence I found.

I compared it to my untouched 78 - and there too is a black pulley with some blue overspray on the edges and the harmonic balancer

Thanks in advance for your expertise! I have cleaned and de-rusted the pulley and harmonic balancer and now have to repaint it correctly...
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty