News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Plug Wires

Started by 60eldo, April 18, 2024, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im confused on which spark plug wires to buy. Some say carbon core, others say suppression. Which is the best wire for my 390  1960.
Jon. Kluczynski

Dave Shepherd

Solid core wires are incompatible  with any electronic ignition if you have any plans. Also tend generate static especially in oe radios. Carbon core wires a little more fragile, but are a common choice. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Leads marked either Carbon Core or Suppression are the same.

The other types are Spiral Wound and Solid Core as was in the olden days.

The Spiral Wound leads are mainly used for Performance, where there is no radio in the vehicle.

If you do use the solid core leads, and have a radio, you need to put Suppressors on each item that can suffer from electrical interference.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

My radio is an after market. And Im on points and condenser.
Jon. Kluczynski

Jon S

Original wires were Packard TVRS.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Lectric Ltd (Chicago?) has reproduction wire sets for our cars. Made just like the old days, even using some old equipment. Fusick carries them, (or last I checked they did). Clay/Lexi

TJ Hopland

If you are not going for 'correct' looking wires I have had good luck with the Belden wires. They are also usually dark blue so look pretty decent with the Cadillac blues. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason