News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

HELP! steering column

Started by densie 20352, April 07, 2005, 12:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

densie 20352

See picture at http://www.americansoapbox.org/pics/column.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.americansoapbox.org/pics/column.jpg

This is a 70s tilt/tele column that I am trying to disassemble to replace the ignition lock.  Im working from a 1977 manual and the column isnt the same, so I dont know how to get this plate off.

thanks

-denise

George

Note 3. in the 74 manual says..remove plastic retainer, using small screwdriver to disengage tabs on retainer from C ring.

densie

It should say, Attempt to remove the retainer with your fingers and watch it explode into a thousand pieces.

Then there was special tool J-23131.  It looks very simple, just a U-shaped bracket and a nut.  I didnt need one to get the C-ring out, but I needed it to get it back in.  So I made one.  And I put it on the shaft and tightened the nut, and guess what?  Since it has telescoping column, the shaft just moved on out.  So I put my homemade special tool on there, and a socket on it, then a block of wood, and I stood the column up and leaned on until I got it compressed enough to put the ring back in.

The ignition lock was really fun.  It looks very simple, just press the lock tab in and pull it out.  I pressed the tab in.  It didnt move.  I pressed the tab in many, many times while pulling and prying on it.  It still didnt move.  I sprayed it with lubricant, then my key wouldnt turn it anymore.   After an hour of grunting and saying naughty words, it just slipped out.  The new one slipped right in.

Remind me not to do this job again for a while.

-densie

JIM CLC # 15000

04-07-05
Denise, An Arkansas gas-hacket comes to mind!
Just kidding, but from what I can see in your photo, it appears that you will have to use a wheel/gear-Puller to remove the plate.
Dont know for sure, you should wait for more readers to respond.
Good Luck, Jim

densie

What I had to do was remove the plastic retainer (not at all difficult, I touched it and it exploded), then push that plate down, toward the middle of the column, and slide the C-ring out.  There is a tension spring behind it.  Then the plate and the turn signal knockoff cam (the yellow plastic part) came out easily.  This would actually have been easier to do with the column in the car.  I dont know the 77 manual shows a tool that screws onto the end of the column shaft and pushes the plate down, because with a telescope column, thats not possible...and how many Cadillacs were made in 1977 that didnt have the tilt/tele column?  (Watch someone answer that).  Or maybe there is more to that tool than meets the eye, I dont know.  I made one based on what I saw in the picture.

The plastic retainer, what remains of it, is in the trash.  I assume that its purpose was to keep the C-ring from sliding out, but since it exploded when I touched it, I doubt that it was doing anything.  I just the column back together without it.

I tested the turn signal action, the key works great now, and everything is tilting and telescoping as it should.  I hope that swapping the column into my hearse goes a little easier, but I know better than to expect it to.

-denise