News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Moderator attendance.

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, April 07, 2024, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Yesterday, I got a note from Bruce with a request. I suddenly realized that I hadn't had the Forum "up" for some time on the gaggle of sites that I leave on the listings at the top of my screen all the time.

The reason is simple. I've had to move Gay into Assisted Living some nine miles away. One evening, she found it impossible to stand up to go to bed, so I called 911 for some help. The EMTs quickly responded and suggested quite strongly that she be taken to the ER as she might have had a stroke.

They found that that was not the problem, but an X-Ray showed that she had fluid in the sac around her right lung, and also a lesion behind her sternum. After a few days, she had a liter of fluid drained, which might have been the problem with standing up, as I was assisting her by holding on to her right arm. (Like carrying a half gallon of milk around on your chest, possibly.)

When it came time for her to be discharged, her Dr. recommended a stay in a nursing home, so that's what we did. And now, we are working on a way for her to stay there permanently, as I'm getting feeble enough now that if I had a problem, I wouldn't be able to address her needs.

We are rearranging our lives and she seems to be getting along well there. We have decided to let nature take its course relative to her possible cancer, as several Dr. friends and her own Dr. have said that a biopsy would be painful and probably just a confirmation of the problem.

We have had 65 years together, and right now, I'm just getting used to an empty house.
So, that's why I haven't been around for a while. Lars stopped by last weekend to pick up my offerings for the Auction at the GN. Hopefully, I will make someone happy with the "good stuff" that I sent.

Best regards to all. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Kielar

Our prayers are with you and Gay.
Regards,
Bob and Diane Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

My prayers are also with you and Gay. Assuming we all live long enough, that could happen to us all. While you might be alone in the house you will always have your Cadillac family here on the Forum. God Bless you and Gay. Don't be a stranger. We got lots of Cadillac/movie talk to chat about.  :)  Clay/Lexi

billyoung

So sorry to hear of this. I am certain you are heartbroken. God Bless you both.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cadillac Jack 82

Barry I'm so sorry.  I will keep you and Gay in my thoughts and prayers.  Life is too precious to worry about hobbies.  Loved ones always come first.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Highwayman68

Family first, we will still be here for you.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

GregoryAlan

Its not the end of the world Barry!

December 30th my dad fractured a vertebrae in his back and I had to move in with them to take care of them. Being a caregiver is a VERY difficult job. I moved the folks into an assisted living facility March 25th. It was a VERY difficult thing for dad to accept.

Mom has dementia and I'm not sure if she grasps what is really happening. Mom also spent the summer of '23 in the hospital with congestive heart failure. She too had a liter of fluid drained from the sac around her lung.

Mom did not react well to the hospital. Her ER doctor suggested I find her some palatine care to keep her out of the hospital. I talked to her GP and all North Memorial has to offer is hospice. Hospice is not at all what I expected. I always though hospice means the end. What I found out is it means more like comfort care, no more aggressive treatments.

The last visit with mom's hospice nurse she hinted that mom is going to graduate from hospice at her next evaluation. They call it graduate but I call it getting the boot because mom is not dying fast enough for Medicare.

I need more eyes on mom and dad then just mine!

It has only been 2 weeks but they both seem to be getting adjusted to their new living arrangement. They have a medical staff checking on them all day and having them manage the folks meds has taken a HUGE burden off my plate. I can concentrate on being a son and not a caregiver.

The folks were pretty much confined to home because they did not travel well. My folks are now among people suffering with the same issues as them so my folks are are not isolated anymore. Dad complains that he is now in jail but honest he is doing the same things he did at home, but he now has the opportunity to do more if he chooses.

Life has an expiration date. There is no getting around it. Is your glass half empty or half full. You can be my dad and live glass half empty and be miserable. I hope you see the high road. I hope my dad sees the high road before it is too late.

All the best to you and yours during this difficult time!
Know that you are in our prayers....

Art Director

Bless you, Barry, I sure miss chatting with you at Grand Nationals. I got only 27 years with Liz and it really hurt (still does) when she passed away. Best wishes to you and hope to see you at a GN again some day.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold