News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What do you do to secure your Cadillac?

Started by Lexi, April 10, 2024, 07:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

The 1968 DVC sits in the garage with the door shut. Blocking it is the Fleetwood which has PASS Key and the Security system. Neither is going anywhere. The two CTSs have security systems, so they aren't going anywhere either.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

64\/54Cadillacking

The easiest and quickest way to at least deter the "desire" of someone from just easily breaking the window of your classic and hot-wiring it or jamming a flathead screw driver into the ignition and driving away, is simply buying a club lock or one of the locks that go over the brake pedal and steering wheel.

A simple battery disconnect, coil wire removal, or an aftermarket ignition switch will all do.

A cheap, but still very effective way to be able to track down your stolen classic is to always use an Apple AirTag hidden somewhere in the car if you use an IPhone.

I have an AirTag in all of my cars and keep watch of them for movement. The phone will even alert you if it moves and the tag senses that you're not nearby the vehicle.

The key is prevention, the more steps you take to make it very difficult for someone to steal your car, the less likely the thief will bother with it. They will simply move on to the next one.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

TJ Hopland

Isn't there a point where you are making it so inconvenient to you that you just don't drive the car?

My system is to have cars that are not all that rare or perfect condition.  I don't think I could enjoy something that was rare and mint I would worry all the time.

And like others have said with 3 speeds and such here are some classic GM anti theft devices from the 80's.  It probably would not start.  If it did you could follow the trail of black smoke and oil leaks on foot because they were so slow and when you got to the secret hideout they would turn you away. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Long ago I installed JACOBS ignition boosters,
which have a security function.  You do not need
to do anything, it is ready for the next time
you use the car. But if you do not disable it
after starting the engine, it will run just
long enough to get onto the street, somewhere
you do not want to be in a stalled, stolen car. 
Bruce Roe

Carfreak

Our daughter drove a 1989 9c1 'Boxy' to university.  Although it had about 400k miles, looked & drove great.

These cars were and still are very popular. People were always trying to buy it from her; stopping her on the road, in the parking lot, even found her in the grocery store.

Worse were the couple people who tried to steal it - the column lock thwarted them but they still never would have found the hidden coke-key kill switch.

After the second theft attempt, we added several DIESEL tags which had been removed from dad's 1983 Seville Elegante.  For the most part that resolved the attempted-theft problem.   
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

jwwseville60

If you own multiple nice vintage cars in a locked garage and a pro thief ring wants them for export in containers to drug lords/dictators around the world, you're crap out of luck. They will arrive armed with a semi trailer and winch tow cables. They'll jack up the cars and put rollers under the tires. In an hour, ten cars are loaded. GONE.

Nefarious rich people have car shopping lists for thief rings. They pay top dollar.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Philou2

Hello,

For me, in France, it's simple: the price of gasoline is so high that no one would have the stupid idea of stealing a car that consumes so much fuel!

;D  ;D ...  :P
Cadillac Sedan Deville 1972

The Tassie Devil(le)

But, if your tank was full, they would probably steal the car in order to obtain the fuel. ;)  ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon