News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

vacuum manifold

Started by alzink, April 12, 2024, 11:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alzink

For a 55 cadillac does the vacuum manifold serve any purpose other than providing multiple vacuum connections for wipers, oil pump, windshield wiper and antenna or is there something inside the manifold that regulates vacuum. Many thanks

David King (kz78hy)

If you are referring to the aluminum manifold/check valve that is mounted to the dash panel and has 4 hoses connecing to it, then yes, there is something inside.  On the 54-55 cars, there is a port that goes through the dash and has a hose that connects to the radio antenna vacuum port on top of the radio.

There are 2 valve ports with a spring loaded flapper valve which can close a port when low vacuum occurs. I made up a new valve/seal to replace the hard and likely broken one which is in there.

https://keepemrunningautomotive.com/shop/ols/products/wiper-check-valve-seal

You can purchase through the website or send me a check (preferred).

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

alzink

Many thanksI would assume that eliminating the radio antenna and washer (which I did) the other things calling for vacuum are the wipers and oil pump vacuum. Do I need to isolate those two in order not to lose vacuum for the wipers?

Thanks again David

David King (kz78hy)

That check valve is for the wiper motor.  The primary vacuum source is the manifold vacuum.  When it is low, the check valve closes the manifold port and the engine vacuum pump takes over.  There are light springs in the unit that hold the flap/seal closed and the strong vacuum overcome the springs to open them.  Those 2 ports are marked Vacuum Pump (VP) and Manifold (MAN) and are the vacuum source.  You need to plug off the washer & antenna ports if they are not used.  The wiper motor of course needs to be connected.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

TJ Hopland

Interesting.  The vacuum pump isn't 'strong' enough to be the primary source?  Most years in the vacuum wiper and power brake era brakes were vacuum to right?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 15, 2024, 01:21:56 PMInteresting.  The vacuum pump isn't 'strong' enough to be the primary source? 
No. The vacuum pump must have some RPM's to be effective: it is located under the oil pump and turns at the same speed.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101