News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CLC number locations? And other profile layout tips

Started by TJ Hopland, April 12, 2024, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Edit:  There is a CLC number field lower down on the screen where you set your password, not in the profile page where you would expect it to be.

Is there official locations members need to have their CLC numbers posted? (YES SEE THE ABOVE LINE AND THE #3 REPLY BELOW) 

Looking at what others seem to be doing it seems the most common location to have it listed is in the location field of the profile.  It can take a little playing with the spacing to get a location and member number to appear on their own lines but its not too bad. 

If you were not like me who was forced by previous rules to use your real name as your handle you have to have your name in the name section which appears to the right of your location which makes it more difficult to get the spacing looking good.  If you have your name elsewhere you can enter a space in that field so it doesn't effect the location layout.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Carfreak

TJ

Why not just use the CLC Number box on the Account Settings page? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

Well sure if you want to do it the easy way.....   

I was wondering why it was such a pain in the butt and how so many people seemed to get it the same.

I had no reason to be on the password section and everything else was on the profile section and since there was not an obvious place to put it I just tried everything to see what went where.  Thought I did pretty good, got it to look right but I bet the only field they will be sorting by next month is the proper one so I'm glad I asked.

Jason Edge

Sue is correct. Adding your CLC # is done on the Account Settings Page which is accessed from the drop down menu in upper left hand corner of screen. I checked and this is true for both Desktop/laptop and mobile devices. After May 1, this will change from an optional field to a required field for new registrations.  See below:

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

TJ Hopland

There you go, screen shots to make it easy and not have to waste a lot of time like I did.

And also notice the profile area is where you can go and put useful things you see on many members posts like general location (there is a location field) and then the 'signature' is the area below the line in the posts were we usually list things like the model(s) of car(s) we own or have owned or like Jason above listing offices and contact information for various club related things. 

The location is really useful especially when it comes to things like parts or picking on Bruce for everything being flipped and using a torch in his boot.  If someone from Texas has the steering wheel on the right side of the car and a torch in his boot he is a passenger and on fire but at least can probably get some parts at a local auto parts store.  Even within the USA its helpful to know the region.  Advice can be quite different for a freezing climate vs places that never really get cold.

TJ Hopland

I just did a quick manual random search of fairly active members and I found several that have a CLC number listed but not in what appears to be the official spot.  Am I correct in assuming that when the change happens its going to primarily be an automated process based on that official field in the password section?  If so there are going to be a fair number of regulars locked out. 

Also knowing just enough about computers to be dangerous I also see inconsistencies like some people have things other than just the numbers in the field, will that throw off the algorithm and lock those people out too?

Have the admin(s) done some test reports to see how this is all going to go and know what to expect?

Do the admin(s) have a plan/method for the people that are members but get locked out due to a glitch to easily get back in?  A forgot my password sort of link except more of my number wasn't in or in the right place link?  If there isn't anything in the forum software for that perhaps set up a special email address for this that gets routed to the people that can do something about it rather than clogging up people that can't helps mailboxes?

I'm not an admin so its not really my problem but since I'm now paying to be here I don't want to see this site get screwed up by people with ideas that don't know how things work and the people that know the works side either ignored or afraid to speak up. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Rest assured that there is stuff going on behind the scenes to ensure that everything goes off like it is supposed to.   BUT, this is where Mr. Murphy (Murphy's Law) will somehow show up ant toss a couple of spanners in the works.

From what I understand, there will be a cross-over time allowed for all matters to be worked out, and the Webmaster will be sending out a mass email to all CLC Members as to what to expect.

As Jason Edge said, anyone with their Member Number in the correct Box, their transition will go straight through, and probably won't even be aware of the transition.

With just over 25 days to go before the 1st May, there is still a lot going on behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition.

Bruce.  >:D

PS.   Nobody has ever been forced to use their real name as their Handle.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Carfreak

Bruce pushed hard for several years (as early as 2006) to have the Name Rule adopted even going as far to falsely indicate it was required prior the CLC Board adopting this rule.   

Forum rules were updated by the CLC Board and to require 'Full names' starting July 2010.  Until next month, CLC member numbers were requested to be posted but never required. 

Only now, starting May 1, will CLC Member's be required to provide their Number when Forum rules change to disallow non-members to post. 

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Carfreak on April 12, 2024, 10:20:31 PMBruce pushed hard for several years (as early as 2006) to have the Name Rule adopted even going as far to falsely indicate it was required prior the CLC Board adopting this rule.

I didn't remember who it was but I for sure remember being threatened multiple times with banning for not complying.  That was one of the reasons I let my membership lapse and never came back till now.  I tried to point out that it wasn't a secure or common practice to use your full name in full public view and asked them to explain how that realistically made the forum experience any better. 

I asked who ever I was dealing with to please do more research before forcing the rule and was told basically if I don't like their rules to leave.  I think I kinda did leave for a while but since I had a lot of posts and was listed in the directory at the time I got phone calls and direct emails from people asking for help and information so I sort of ended up coming back to the forum. Some of the calls and emails were related to the 'full name rule' so I know I wasn't the only one that didn't like it and got threatened.        

TJ Hopland

Oh ya and its good to hear that there is a lot of work and testing going on behind the scenes. I'm sure we are all hoping that was going on but since there doesn't seem to be anyone letting us know whats going on and there is a recent and past history of technical snafus with the forum some of us are a little concerned for the future. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Carfreak on April 12, 2024, 10:20:31 PMBruce pushed hard for several years (as early as 2006) to have the Name Rule adopted even going as far to falsely indicate it was required prior the CLC Board adopting this rule. 

Let me be precise with regard the Name Rule.
It was Jeff Hansen, (the original Webmaster) who compiled the original Forum Rules way back when, (one being the Name Rule) and as another Member and myself came on board as assistant Moderators to ease Jeffs' workload, I was the only one enforcing the rule.  The other Member didn't want to conform with the Rule, and soon left.  Complaints were made that it was I that brought in the name rule, and even with Jeff writing to the complainant that it was he himself that brought in the rule, the complainant refused to accept that I had nothing to do with it, and still does, and has continued to try and make my life a misery. 

If one is tasked to do stuff, as in moderating on the Forum, one is guided by the Forum Rules, and one would  not be doing their job if they didn't.

QuoteForum rules were updated by the CLC Board and to require 'Full names' starting July 2010.  Until next month, CLC member numbers were requested to be posted but never required.

Here is an excerpt from the Forum Rules going back to 2003.  Taken from an email that I sent to a Member on the 17th May, 2003, who didn't have a problem and immediately complied.
"Rules for posting messages in the Message Forum:

All messages must be signed with your first and last name (EX: Henry Leland) or your first initial and last name (H. Leland). You may also specify a handle, but you must also supply your name as was just defined. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Forum Rules have constantly been modified and updated when necessary, and I know I am getting old, but the basic minimum required was first Initial and Surname.

As for any Member being banned, there must have been a good reason for it, as these things are not done lightly.

Some Members have been accidentally banned simply because a Member that was initially banned, had shared their internet access, resulting in a shared IP Address.  When a Member is banned, the IP addresses they use are also included in the ban.  IP Addresses can be shared even by using another Members Internet access when visiting them.  In one case, the unintended Member refused to accept, and still does, that this had occurred.

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator. 

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 13, 2024, 01:08:22 AMOh ya and its good to hear that there is a lot of work and testing going on behind the scenes. I'm sure we are all hoping that was going on but since there doesn't seem to be anyone letting us know whats going on and there is a recent and past history of technical snafus with the forum some of us are a little concerned for the future.
I suppose it is a case of being patient.

It is not much good feeding information in dribs and drabs if it could be subject to change prior to the actual date.

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jason Edge

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 12, 2024, 09:04:32 PMRest assured that there is stuff going on behind the scenes to ensure that everything goes off like it is supposed to.
Bruce is correct. There is a lot of work going on by many including everything from the technical aspect of how to make this work by our webmaster Stefan, to the logistics by Bruce and the Moderators.  I will also add there is really no reason to look backwards and point fingers, and as far as the future of the CLC and the forums I think it is very bright. We, the CLC members, will have our own forum, that will be welcoming to current and future CLC members. If you are a CLC member there should be no worries, but as a non-CLC member you need to start thinking about either joining the CLC or not being a part of our CLC hosted Forums.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm for questioning how we will technically make the transition, I hope you are all equally enthusiastic about encouraging our non-CLC members that now is the time to join.  We will lose a lot of non-members, but there is a great opportunity to grow the club.  I went through this same transition on the 63/64 Cadillac Website, and while we lost 2,700 non members, mostly people that never posted anyway, we picked up at least 2 dozen new CLC & Chapter members in about a weeks time. I hope to see a bigger bump here as this is a more active site.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

TJ Hopland

Just bumping this thread again.  I just looked at the forum member list and there are several fairly active forum members that do have a CLC number listed but not in the correct spot so you will likely get missed when the lock down happens and have to wait or go through some sort of manual reinstatement process before you can post again.

There are also a few active members that don't have a number listed anywhere, hopefully we are not about to loose them. 

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 17, 2024, 11:20:18 PMJust bumping this thread again.  I just looked at the forum member list and there are several fairly active forum members that do have a CLC number listed but not in the correct spot so you will likely get missed when the lock down happens and have to wait or go through some sort of manual reinstatement process before you can post again.

There are also a few active members that don't have a number listed anywhere, hopefully we are not about to loose them. 

It is very likely that this forum will lose many contributors with this absurd new policy. "My way or the highway" never works when forums institute policies like that, and required paid subscriptions are almost always a death knell. Anyone who has been around the internet for a while and participates on a number of forums would fully understand that. Marque-specific forums with dwindling member bases are always worsened by such asinine policies.

I suspect that the powers that be here are way too stubborn to consider this probability, and most posters here are too polite to speak up about it. I have no such concerns, I tell it like it is. It's the only way to be.

Requiring full names displayed publicly with every post is irresponsibly misguided. Requiring a paid membership will just outright kill the forum. Most small market forums that adopt such policies don't last a couple years before they're all but dead. I will say again, I honestly cannot wrap my head around why anybody actually thought this would be a good idea or somehow make the forum better.

Bryan J Moran

How are you even on here without your name?  Jason Edge has made compelling arguments about what he hopes will happen. That's at least leadership and an idea being tested on the subject of membership loss when everyone just pontificates that "the club needs to get younger" or similar generic comments. 

My curiosity is with the monitoring or tracking of these thousands of new members. A new member paying $25 is probably not a big deal.  Most of us can afford $25. But what happens at renewal?  Automatic emails that might get ignored - then they lose interest and become non members. But do they retain forum availability? 
CLC 35000 in number only

Carfreak

Quote from: MultipleCaddies on April 18, 2024, 03:54:12 AMIt is very likely that this forum will lose many contributors with this absurd new policy. "My way or the highway" never works when forums institute policies like that, and required paid subscriptions are almost always a death knell. Anyone who has been around the internet for a while and participates on a number of forums would fully understand that. Marque-specific forums with dwindling member bases are always worsened by such asinine policies.

I suspect that the powers that be here are way too stubborn to consider this probability, and most posters here are too polite to speak up about it. I have no such concerns, I tell it like it is. It's the only way to be.

Requiring full names displayed publicly with every post is irresponsibly misguided. Requiring a paid membership will just outright kill the forum. Most small market forums that adopt such policies don't last a couple years before they're all but dead. I will say again, I honestly cannot wrap my head around why anybody actually thought this would be a good idea or somehow make the forum better.

It will be very interesting come next month to see how many non-members such as yourself find the CLC and its Forum are worthwhile to pay dues and join the Club in order to post. As a professional restorer you should know the cost of a quart of PPG refinishing products is enough to make you gasp; a gallon could make you lightheaded and an empty wallet.  In the scheme of things, $25 is a drop in the paint bucket.

Quite a few of the loudest naysayers are those who have never and likely will never pony up the funds to join. They spend thousands if not tens of thousands on their car(s) but never take the next step to become part of our group. 

The old saying 'why buy the cow when the milk is free' is apparently applicable here. 

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Carfreak on April 18, 2024, 08:03:59 AMIt will be very interesting come next month to see how many non-members such as yourself find the CLC and its Forum are worthwhile to pay dues and join the Club in order to post. As a professional restorer you should know the cost of a quart of PPG refinishing products is enough to make you gasp; a gallon could make you lightheaded and an empty wallet.  In the scheme of things, $25 is a drop in the paint bucket.

Quite a few of the loudest naysayers are those who have never and likely will never pony up the funds to join. They spend thousands if not tens of thousands on their car(s) but never take the next step to become part of our group. 

The old saying 'why buy the cow when the milk is free' is apparently applicable here. 

"It's only $25" really is an absurd argument. Comparing it to the cost of tangible products is even more ridiculous. I couldn't even estimate how many different make-specific forums I have registered on over the years, plus some restoration oriented technical forums and general automotive discussion forums. Some of them I participate on more than others, but I'd estimate that I've posted on probably two dozen different forums within the last year. Should I spend hundreds of dollars of my own money every year in order to give technical advice to people who need it, and ask the occasional question myself? That's a hell of a position to take.

You really haven't thought this through. "It's only $25" isn't a valid reason to start charging for something that is free almost everywhere else on the internet. I suspect you're going to learn that very soon. This is a niche forum with a much smaller audience than many free forums have, so again, so for the average person who owns a Cadillac and needs some advice or has a random comment to make, that $25 will be an instant block that they won't even think about. They'll take their question elsewhere. Congrats, you've just alienated another potential Cadillac enthusiast who might have been enthusiastic to join and participate, but isn't interested in smug elitism. That's really all this is. It absolutely is not about being cheap or not being able to afford it, it's about the attitude and the principle of it.

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 18, 2024, 06:52:56 AMHow are you even on here without your name?  Jason Edge has made compelling arguments about what he hopes will happen. That's at least leadership and an idea being tested on the subject of membership loss when everyone just pontificates that "the club needs to get younger" or similar generic comments. 

My curiosity is with the monitoring or tracking of these thousands of new members. A new member paying $25 is probably not a big deal.  Most of us can afford $25. But what happens at renewal?  Automatic emails that might get ignored - then they lose interest and become non members. But do they retain forum availability? 

The internet is absolutely loaded with all manner of car related forums. From make and marque specific forums, to restoration, paint and body, and general automotive discussion forums. Many hundreds of them, if not thousands exist. The huge majority are entirely free for anyone to participate. That is how internet forums have always worked. In fact, I can't even think of another automotive discussion forum that requires paying in order to participate. The idea of it goes against everything forums like this even exist for in the first place. It is and always has been about freely exchanging information amongst enthusiasts and encouraging others to get interested and involved in the hobby or with certain cars, and helping those who are. Requiring people to pay in order to participate goes against everything that made internet forums great in the first place.

How exactly does anyone actually believe charging for forum usage will actually improve this forum? The only argument to be made here at all is the reduction (but NOT elimination) of scammers, but there are other better ways to deal with that to don't discourage participation.

I still can't think of any other automotive related forum that requires payment to participate. Don't try to compare it to joining a car club, they are NOT the same.

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 18, 2024, 06:52:56 AMHow are you even on here without your name?  Jason Edge has made compelling arguments about what he hopes will happen. That's at least leadership and an idea being tested on the subject of membership loss when everyone just pontificates that "the club needs to get younger" or similar generic comments. 

In answer to your question about members whose CLC membership lapses. There will be a process to regularly take recent expired memberships and change their forum status to read only. Then, if they rejoin the club, their forum status can easily be changed back. 
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725