News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Think about where you get your first tank of gas this season

Started by TJ Hopland, April 12, 2024, 02:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Short version, if you are in a freezing climate try to find a high volume station or maybe use 'regular' if your car can stand it till they cycle through and get some fresh premium.

I have never had issues getting bad gas as long as I was the one getting it.  Stuff in cans I didn't fill, sure but never from a gas station. 

I don't know if it was the wacky yo yo weather we had this winter or what but I have heard of other people having issues this spring and I had an issue with a small engine that I blamed on the machine sitting outside but now I seem to be having an issue with the Caddy.  It was fine for the 50 or so miles on last years gas but not long after I filled up its not running so good.  Same place I got the small engine gas.

I think the issue is that in the freezing climates the stations don't sell much of the premium non ethanol over the winter.  No classic cars, not as many small engines, no boats.  The non ethanol may be part of it, nothing to suck up the moisture.  I actually bought some 'heet' to see if that helped my garden tractor and it did seem to help a bit.  I still have 3/4 of a bottle so I think I will dump that in the car and see if it helps.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

The 'HEET' did appear to help.  Note that you should only try an additive like that with non ethanol gas.  Ethanol gas the ethanol is similar stuff so you don't want to add more. That's why you don't see racks of the stuff out front at every gas station and stores anymore.

Big Fins

We are very fortunate here in Florida, that we have so many landscapers that keep the non-deathanol fuel fresh all the time. There are some certain high quantity mega-mart stations that are opening new facilities all over the country and where allowed, are selling the pure gas. Octane ratings vary from the regular 87 up to the 93 that Sunoco sells. Some are even higher, but rare.

For those that are forced to use a deathanol laced fuel and need a higher octane, DO NOT add 100LL aviation gasoline to your blend. The additives in the Av-Gas will turn the deathanol into a white sludge that will block fuel lines, filters and carburetor jets.

Just as bad, is leaving a rarely used car with deathanol laced fuel sitting in it. In a matter of 90 days, the blend starts to separate and the deathanol sinks to the bottom of the tank where the pick up will then deliver 90% deathanol to the engine.

For a state by state listing of stations selling non-deathanol laced fuel go to   www.pure-gas.org 
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Historically it hasn't been a problem for me but I think it was the overall mild but wacky winter weather we had.  Maybe it extended the season so storage tanks were more empty?  Or they are normally empty but ran out and had to refill late in the fall so it was too full to mix in some fresh stuff in the spring?  Or the wacky weather just caused condensation in the tanks?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

And how pray tell do you know exactly what is in the station's tanks?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

That's the catch, we don't know or likely have any sure way to find out.  All we can do is look for clues and guess.   

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That goes for any time not seasonal. Just ask Big Fins
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Big Fins

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on April 14, 2024, 10:55:03 AMAnd how pray tell do you know exactly what is in the station's tanks?
Greg Surfas

You don't.
The in-tank pumps have the pick up placed roughly 6" from the bottom of the tank. That way, the pump doesn't pick up any condensation that accumulates in the tank and rolls down the walls to the bottom. There is also a water monitor in the tank and it is generally set to 3" at which time a water alarm is activated. The delivery driver is forbidden to place fresh fuel in that tank. It has to be pumped out by a Haz-Mat vacuum truck.

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on April 14, 2024, 01:10:49 PMThat goes for any time not seasonal. Just ask Big Fins
Greg Surfas

I taught you well grasshopper.  ;) 
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Jim Miller

Being along Lake Erie we can easily obtain non ethanol gasoline usually at 91 octane. Many gas stations have it for people who tow their boats. I've already pulled up to the shore side of a marina and they let me gas up as that gas is also non ethanol.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX