News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Michigan changed their classic licence plate rules. Good or bad?

Started by TJ Hopland, April 12, 2024, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

Oh yeah I do recall now seeing that info in Hagerty's general info.

There is a simple way to ensure you don't exceed the mileage limits, buy a few more vehicles, every year.

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 14, 2024, 01:43:48 AMThe point was that if your state was putting restrictions on when you could drive based on the type of registration you choose that then the insurance company didn't have to impose any restrictions because your state already did.

Then maybe it's time to shop around for another carrier- preferably one that doesn't see an onslaught of extra driving as a result if it. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Clewisiii

Quick question. Speaking of the registration. Do other states charge registration fees based on original selling price or weight class. I thought it was funny that I had old cars cost more to register then a new car.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Carfreak

Clewisiii

You went to the swap meet in Monroe. I was thinking about going there. I did not know how much I might find for my car. But from Flushing to Monroe is a long drive. I am going to go to the one in Fowlerville next month. But I assume that will be smaller.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In PA, annual registration is $45.00/year for passenger cars with GVWR up to 9,000 lbs. A one-time 6% sales tax on the purchase price is collected at the time ownership is transferred (a/k/a titled in the name of a new owner) regardless of whether registration is issued. A title fee of $67.00 is also charged in addition to the sales tax. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Clewisiii

Carfreak

Quote from: Clewisiii on April 14, 2024, 11:56:19 AMYou went to the swap meet in Monroe. I was thinking about going there. I did not know how much I might find for my car. But from Flushing to Monroe is a long drive. I am going to go to the one in Fowlerville next month. But I assume that will be smaller.

Yep, Monroe Swap was very good. Nice size with several hundred vendors; almost the entire fairgrounds were full.  It it is about an hour for us, has to be more than 2 hours for you.

Have you ever been to the Fowlerville Swap?  300 spaces there and not quite as big but a lot of stuff shows up. 

Weather?  Cool & very windy this morning had us wearing coats which were shed within a few hours, winds died down and I came home with sunburn - even had a few rain drops on the windshield about 5 miles from home. 

Clewisiii

No I have never attended a swap meet. I have only ever been to three car shows.

Carfreak

There's another good-size swap meet hosted by the Bearing Burners down I-75 from you in Shelby Twp. 

Someone told me it's on Sunday May 5 but not positive. 

David King (kz78hy)

The MI registration system is very expensive.  It is based on the MSRP of the car model.  It does not depreciate, so the 30 year old Cadillac that sold for 35k is still taxed as if it were new.  Also, there is no trade allowance on sales tax.  The 6% sales tax is based against the transaction total without any trade-in credit so you always are paying the the full price. 

This is one of the bad points of living here.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Clewisiii

Quote from: Carfreak on April 14, 2024, 10:36:11 PMThere's another good-size swap meet hosted by the Bearing Burners down I-75 from you in Shelby Twp. 

Someone told me it's on Sunday May 5 but not positive. 

Sunday May 19th 9-4 on 21 mile.

Carfreak

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on April 15, 2024, 09:50:15 AMThe MI registration system is very expensive.  It is based on the MSRP of the car model.  It does not depreciate, so the 30 year old Cadillac that sold for 35k is still taxed as if it were new.   

Unless registered with a Historic ($30/10 years) or Authentic ($35/never expires) license plate then the cost is nominal.

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Carfreak on April 15, 2024, 11:07:29 AMUnless registered with a Historic ($30/10 years) or Authentic ($35/never expires) license plate then the cost is nominal.
That is correct and the usage limitations associated with those plates.  All my old cars have year of mfg. plates.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

TJ Hopland

I assume there is also a time period that has to pass with the same owner before you can change the plate type.  You can't register it as a classic to avoid paying the sales tax then change it to a regular sort of thing.   I know MN has something along those lines. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

You pay taxes to get the title in your name. Registration is separate.

I have the title for my 61 Cadillac and 52 Buick. I already paid the taxes. But I cannot register them until I insure them for the road. And I have not done that yet.

Carfreak

Clay,

Is there a reason you are waiting to insure your cars? Hagerty offers coverage even if your vehicle is currently under restoration. Likely you already have $$$$$ invested in the cars; you never know when tornadoes, fire, theft, etc. could occur. 

Suggest you contact Hagerty Agent and CLC member (former Motor City Region President) Chris Beltz. Classic Car insurance can be pretty reasonable. Chris' contact info is in the CLC Directory or you can contact me for it.

Clewisiii

I plan on getting restoration insurance once the body is back on the frame. Planning this fall.