News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A very special 1974 Cadillac Eldorado

Started by Roger Zimmermann, April 15, 2024, 05:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe this story was already told here; sorry if it's the case.
In 1970, Cadillac gave three Cadillac Eldorado to the Automotive division from the High School in Bienne, Switzerland. I appears that I saw myself those brand new white cars at the GM Suisse location, but I had no idea at that time the foreseen usage for those cars.
The Automotive division had previously a vehicle, constructed by the students to test tires. Unfortunately, one day the truck went in flames and was destroyed.
With probably good connections, that engineer school convinced GM to give those 3 cars; to keep the costs down, no duty was paid for the customs, another strange arrangement. This is also the reason why the resulting vehicle could not be licensed.
With the three cars, one vehicle was built; the front end from one was used almost as is; the engine, transmission and front suspension from the other two cars ware used, at least one as the second axle and the third for the test wheel.
With some chance, the vehicle could be seen on the regional streets. After some years, that vehicle was no more relevant and was put on side.
One friend of mine, Ernst Moy, could buy the vehicle, after long discussions, for a symbolic 1 CHF. As he had professional license plates, he could drive that vehicle. When he got it, most of the testing gear was removed; some repairs were needed for a safe drive.
Some years ago, the vehicle was sold to a German guy; he resold it to a French one. This morning, Ernst Moy wrote me that a Mr. Didier Duhamel in France still own the Cadillac, which is part of a vehicle collection.

100-0072_IMG.jpg100-0074_IMG.jpg100-0079_IMG.jpg100-0083_IMG.jpg100-0084_IMG.jpg100-0090_IMG.jpg
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

The images are of a 1974 eldorado, interior appears nice original, the rear seat must be used in the RV that rear ended the eldorado 🤣✅

Roger Zimmermann

Well, you are right...It cannot be a 1970 Eldo (first generation) and the front is indeed 1974. Anyway, my memory after 50 years may not be the best!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101