News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado just sold for $101,000 on Bring a Trailer

Started by Richf1966, April 29, 2024, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richf1966

75' Eldorado Convertible

Vince Taliano #13852

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

Richf1966

Almost makes me want to put mine up to see what it would bring...its a unicorn color Cameo Rosewood Firemist
75' Eldorado Convertible

TJ Hopland

I guess you are paying for all the pictures?  Seems like 100 would have been plenty. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

scottsdaleaz

I saved a couple of the engine bay pics for reference...
1975 Eldorado
Member Number: 34629

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Possibly the first time a 1971 - 1976 Eldorado convertible (or any 1970s Cadillac) crossed the six-figure threshold. And it wasn't even a 1976 let alone Bicentennial.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 29, 2024, 05:14:16 PMI guess you are paying for all the pictures?  Seems like 100 would have been plenty.

I agree; many are either repetitious or of very little use in determining condition. Close up shots the only images that provide anything close to meaningful for the most part.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

badpoints

Less than a new Escalade Platinum. I wonder how much the seller paid to the original owner. Seems like all these nice cars are always from someone who just acquired the car.

What a seller paid - whether he got it free to $x is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the market. 

jwwseville60

My fear would be paying that much for a really nice car then having to rebuild the engine/tranny/etc. from it sitting for 50 years.
What else could go wrong? The fuel tank and lines?
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Carfreak

Quote from: jwwseville60 on April 30, 2024, 08:21:21 AMWhat else could go wrong? The fuel tank and lines?

The fillers, brake hoses, radiator and/or heater core if antifreeze wasn't kept fresh.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

Do people that pay that much for that sort of a car drive them?  I would guess its more for lookin. Likely one of many.

Carfreak

When the 1 of 1 restored Eldorado Brougham Town Car was sold by Dick Baruk to RM Auctions, they installed a drivetrain prior to reselling the car to John O'Quinn.  And it sold at least once more since then (2012). 

It had been a push-mobile since created as a GM Motorama Show / Concept car; never was intended to drive. At least RM Sotheby's included a disclaimer in their auction description. Wonder how much it has moved and where, under its own power.

Quote from: RM Sotheby'sUltimately, RM Auto Restoration completed the car's restoration and rebirth to its former glory. One particularly complex aspect of the project was the installation of a proper 365-cubic inch V-8 engine from a 1956 Cadillac sedan donor car. The engine compartment was dressed up with such items as gold-plated valve covers, dual four-barrel carburetors and unique air cleaners. Had Cadillac brought their prototype to running condition in period, this is what it would have looked like. It should be noted, however, that RM did not build the car to be road- and highway-worthy. The intention of the modification was to allow the fortunate new owner to run and drive the car on the show field, as well as on and off the trailer. Naturally, no road or safety testing was ever done, by either GM or RM Auto Restoration, and consequently the car is not suitable for road use of any kind.

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

bcroe

Quote from: jwwseville60My fear would be paying that
much for a really nice car then having to rebuild the
engine/tranny/etc. from it sitting for 50 years.What else
could go wrong? The fuel tank and lines?

Yes all that and more. I just expect any used car is
not up to my maintenance standards.  At this age the
brake system lines, hoses, calipers, and cylinders need
to be replaced.  Some of my cars that age I have done
TWICE!  The lines only once since I use stainless. 

Then all exhaust pipes and mufflers, again stainless
limits future work to hangers and gaskets.  And the
fuel system from the tank to the injectors gets service. 

Yes the trans needs a refresh after a couple dozen years,
may not need any hard parts for lower mileage.  An all
steel timing set needs to replace the engine OEM time
bomb timing chain set. 

Sealed bearings can fail with dried out grease, that can
include AC clutch idler, alternator, or a wheel bearing. 
And tires, radiator, hoses.  I am speaking from experience. 

Most of the above parts are pretty cheap if you install
yourself.  I just look for a nice body, and do what it
takes to make it into  a reliable driver.  Bruce Roe

There's almost no way engine/trans rebuilds are necessary if the car runs, drives and shifts as it should and without any weird noises or smoke.

As to the rest - hoses, lines, radiator, heater core, etc could fail at any time regardless of whether the car has 1,600 miles or 106,000 even if previously replaced. Gas tank is susceptible to rust depending on storage conditions, preventative maintenance etc.

Front disc/rear drum brakes is one significant advantage of the '75 Eldorado over the 1976.

TJ Hopland

I was just on another classic car website and noticed a couple cars there too have several hundred pics.  Must be a new thing?  The dealers got tired of 'us' complaining that one out of focus pic isn't good enough to sell a $20k+ car?

cadillacmike68

Are these things for real or are they fake sales al la ebay where the same car shows up 2 weeks later???
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Or some 'insiders' trying to generate some buzz and inflate the values of fairly common fairly easy to find in mint condition cars?

The vast majority of sold results on BaT, are genuine. Unlike eBay, the auction winner's credit card is immediately charged the 5% buyer's fee. If the winner fails to consummate the purchase, he's permanently banned from BaT. Deadbeat buyers on BaT are rare.

TJ Hopland

I dunno, thats only $5000 hit.  So you have a car you paid say $30k for.  Stick it online and 'pay' $100k for it.  Pay the $5k fee.  List it again for $50k and if someone recognizes it give them some hard luck story why you have to sell and you made $15k.