News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

siezed wheel NUT? 57 Cad

Started by 60eldo, August 24, 2016, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

My 1960 CDV had all RH threads.

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: V63 on August 24, 2016, 06:35:45 PM
Or drums mounted on the wrong side is another scenario...

This must be the era where the studs were in the drums?  So when some brake shop had them off they got em back on the wrong sides?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

When I got new tires on my '58 hearse, the technician was a young kid.  I told him it had left-handed threads on the left side and he didn't understand until I turned my hand for a visual demonstration.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Skwerly62

Anyone have a few spare 'wrong way' LH lug nuts? Or where can I get a set of totally new ones? I have 10 brand new Dorman RH nuts if anyone wants/needs to trade. Thanks!
Skwerly55email addresses not permitted
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

TJ Hopland

I think Dorman has em.   I got a couple from a parts store a couple years ago.  They didn't have em at the store, they came form the 'warehouse'.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: Skwerly62Anyone have a few spare 'wrong way' LH lug nuts? Thanks!
Skwerly55email addresses not permitted   

What is the stud dia?  Bruce Roe

Skwerly62

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 27, 2016, 09:29:28 AM
I think Dorman has em.   I got a couple from a parts store a couple years ago.  They didn't have em at the store, they came form the 'warehouse'.
Thanks TJ I posted out of convenience before checking Advance Auto. They have em Dorman part # 611-031 if anyone needs em.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

60eldo

OK
Jon. Kluczynski

bcroe

" I'm trying to get the driver rear drum off, I got the large bolt off and Im using a puller which is bolted to the studs. I have a 4ft cheeter bar on the rachet but its not coming off. What am I doing wrong, I even applied heat. The studs do come off with the drum,,,,,Right??"

I don't know how a 57 is done, but close inspection of where the studs come
through the drum ought to tell.  If the stud has knurls tightly engaged with
the drum, its part of it.  If the stud seems to come through a somewhat
loose round hole, its not. 

Besides pressure and heat, I have used a rocking method.  Pry on one side
of the drum, then move around to another spot, all the while applying some
none too gentle hammer blows all around.  If one spot gives, you are on
the way.  Bruce Roe

59-in-pieces

Johnnny and any others having the same LH lug problems.
Clearly the lug nut is LH threads and so must be the Lug bolt - maybe that was a DUH moment - sorry.
But equally important is to match the length of the splines/nurrels on the lugs you buy to the ones on the car.
The splines must be the same length as the material they are set into - a drum or axle flange.
If the splines come past the material - too much - then after they are put in and you put a wheel on and go to tighten the nuts, the wheel holes can be coned/flared out - and the wheel will not sit straight/flush or mesh to the surface behind.
Also and more often, the same flaring may occur if the splines are not long enough.
Take a look at the attached photos and maybe they will explain it better.
Have fun.
S. Butcher

fishnjim

This is one of those lack of knowledge(mythology) things that started in the industry and competition pushed.   Who wouldn't want their lug nuts to stay tight going down the road?   If brand X has reverse threads, we need to.   This was before they understood, how bolts actually tighten and hold and has not much to do with reality. 
Today's tire jockeys have no knowledge of this either and will do their damnedest to torque those off there, so I changed to RH studs.   Cheap insurance.   
Be careful the hub(axle) nut is also reverse thread and much harder to come by.   When I bought my '58, they had used a nut cracker on it, and put it back on because they couldn't find one.   Death trap...   

Glenn R. McLeod

L/H wheel studs finished in 1959 on Cadillac's , and were used on the left side only anyway.

J. Skelly

Buick still used LH threads on the driver's side as late as 1963.  I found out the hard way on the way home and got a flat tire.  Dad asked where the car was.  My brother and I couldn't get the lugs off.  Dad told us it had left-handed threads, which we had never heard of before on a car.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

55 cadi

I found this out when 2 weeks ago I had a front flat and had to replace both front tires, the drivers side loosened turning towards the front (counter clockwise)of car and went to the passengers side to turn counter clockwise and it was tight, thought I had a problem with seized nuts, so tried the turn othe way to try and break free (clockwise) it spun freely.......nuts off, so front end both sides turn to the front of car to loosen.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville