News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

tri-power vacuum switch repair?

Started by David Greenburg, August 30, 2016, 07:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

The vacuum (slider) switch for my tri-power leaks; it will not hold vacuum with all outlets plugged.  I opened and cleaned it, and nothing looks bad inside.  Is it possible to repair the switch or have it rebuilt? A used one appears to be made of unobtanium without paying an absurd amount for it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

David Greenburg

I have been advised by a reputable national  carb. shop that the tri-power vacuum switch "does not go bad" unless it physically breaks.  Mine operates smoothly, but when you apply vacuum to the switch input with a vacuum pump/brake bleeder, it does not hold vacuum; it drops to 0 within a couple of seconds, making it hard to understand how it would properly operate the diaphragm.  So I continue to believe I've got a bad switch.  Any of you tri-power guys have any thoughts?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

76eldo

Have you spoken to Mike Prizzuto from Mastermind, Inc?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

Brian- No, I have not, but he sounds like a good resource.  Still learning my way around the tri-power world.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

76eldo

He rebuilds and supplies specialty parts for broughams and tri power.
I hope he will give you a few minutes I the phone to help you troubleshoot the switch.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

I just tried calling and there is a message saying that no longer takes phone calls; all communication is via the website "which is being expanded to answer all your questions.  It sounds like he only wants orders, not questions. The website lists "vacuum control unit" and "vacuum power unit" but there are no pictures.  One of those is probably the diaphragm unit.  The other might be the switch.  Or not.  Hard to tell without picture or better description.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

76eldo

I guess he isn't as user friendly as he was a few years ago.

These switches come up on ebay periodically.  I am not sure why yours would be leaking but can you post some pics of the internals?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

I emailed him and got a prompt response. He does rebuild the switches; not cheap, but substantially cheaper than the one other source I found, which was stupid expensive.  And he rebuilds what you send him, so you know you're getting the correct part, instead of something off a different GM tri-power.  There appear to be several different part numbers out there. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

76eldo

David,

Try this guy:    http://www.wiperman.com/

The Ficken family has been in the Trico wiper motor repair business for decades.  The vacuum switch is a Trico part and he may be a quick and economical source for a repair or replacement.

Please report back.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv