News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 rear window wells

Started by 76 cadillac bob, August 10, 2022, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

I dont normally drive my 1976 eldo in the rain. I had the molded rear below thebwindow panels redone with fiberglass molds as the originals were more like a firm cardboard. Does the well the window go down into have a drain so if I get caught in the storm it wont fill up with water.
The rubber wipe on the outside window is damaged so it allows water in and being a convertible the top has a lip where it connects to the body that collects water as well. The trunk also leaks so I keep towels in there and avoid storms whenever possible.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

I take it that the back windows you are referring to is the side windows.

The drains for these is at the bottom of the body, directly under the windows, and this is the same place where the back drain for the Convertible top drains into.

You say that you have leaks into the trunk.  Are these from the Convertible Rain Gutter, which moves the moisture that runs down the roof and directs it outward and forward into the rear quarter window area?

If this gutter is damaged, as in torn or cracked, then it will need to be replaced, which involves removing the roof to access it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Lomas

That convertible roof gutter was leaking in my 75 Eldorado, as an easy fix; I used some foam pipe insulation, running it under the entire gutter inside the trunk, so the water runs out on top of the wheel wells instead of into the trunk. Very easy to do since it's even self adhesive.