News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Repair of Transmission Indicator on '60 Cadillac

Started by caddydaddy1960, February 26, 2020, 08:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddydaddy1960

Hello all,

Does anyone know how involved repairing the transmission indicator is on my 1960 Cadillac?  I've looked through the shop manuals and haven't found anything that addresses this issue.  Currently the indicator moves, but is not in the correct place.  If this is something difficult, I will leave it to my mechanic to sort out.

Many thanks,

Michael Heinz
CLC #27227
1960 6337 Coupe Deville (sold 12/20)
1966 68339 Sedan Deville  (sold 2/22)
1974 C6EL67 Fleetwood Eldorado ELC

Director, West Michigan Region CLC
CLC #27227

35-709

It most probably does not need repair but adjustment.  The procedure is somewhere in your shop manual and it is not difficult.  Been several years since I sold my '60 coupe but I had the dash all apart and the steering column out at one point, unfortunately I let the Cadillac Shop Manual go with the car.  You said shop "manuals", might be the only one with the adjustment procedure in it would be the Cadillac Shop Manual from Cadillac not some aftermarket one.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

The adjustment is by a screw that attaches the pointer to the rotating tube that is moved by the gear selector at the base of the steering wheel housing under the dash cluster.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

The transmission gear selection pointer adjustment is in the transmission section of the Factory Service Manual.
Be sure that your gear selector linkage is properly adjusted per the Factory Service Manual before adjusting the pointer in the instrument cluster.

Daryl Chesterman

Jon S

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 26, 2020, 08:31:14 PM
The adjustment is by a screw that attaches the pointer to the rotating tube that is moved by the gear selector at the base of the steering wheel housing under the dash cluster.

Bruce. >:D

Correct. I would adjust it in Neutral as opposed to Park as that gives a more precise Reverse indication.
Jon
CLC Member Number 24786

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT