News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 series 62 Brake Master cyl cap

Started by Technician!, February 14, 2022, 11:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technician!

Is the filler cap on this under floor master cylinder a unique size to our vehicles, or will any cap and seal for this era car fit?
Perfection bordering insanity

fishnjim

See below.

I think last time I had to obtain a MC cap, I found a new one from another brand parts vendor(Merc?).   I think they're mostly Wagner's but not sure what the wagner P/N might be or if in repro but they're the same for a few years per parts list.
You can also call one of the rebuilders, like Whitepost, etc and see if they have.   

Technician!

Thank you for the links.  I want to get another cap to modify to install a remote filler for reservoir.

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Technician! on February 14, 2022, 08:02:20 PM
Thank you for the links.  I want to get another cap to modify to install a remote filler for reservoir.

To install a remote filler, you must obtain a '54 or possibly a '55 cap.  Caps of those years have a pre-drilled and tapped female compression fitting for a tube running from a remote reservoir.  Such a cap will screw right into your '52 master cylinder.  At the same time you must get a'54 or '55 remote reservoir, which you mount on the driver's side inner fender or the firewall, as well as the steel line between the M/C and the reservoir.

I did all this on my '49. 

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Technician!

Thank you.  However, originality is not necessarily as important to me as function is.  I thought I was smart and found a 54 cap for sale, but alas...it was half the price of a reconditioned master cylinder, so I passed.  I will just modify one that fits (hence the original question), and fabricate my own configuration.