News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac Power Steering Pump

Started by Eric Kizer CLC#18650, December 08, 2008, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Kizer CLC#18650

My 1955 Cadillac 62 Coupe has a noisy/whining power steering pump. I had what I thought was a professionally rebuild about two years ago from some guy I found in Hemmings. It is now making noise again. I have tightened the belt but the pump still seems noisy. It has plenty of fluid. Any ideas? As I am an amateur mechanic at best, is this something I can rebuild myself if I get a rebuild kit? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dave Shepherd

Try draining the p/s system then use modern p/s fluid first.

walt chomosh #23510

Eric,
  There are a number of"additives"on the market that may/may not solve your problem.(I bought one additive at NAPA for my 55 and it worked for a few months) When it started whinning again I found out that NAPA had a seal in their catalog that I believe was called power steering seal. I ordered it,broke down my pump,polished the pump's main shaft and pressed in the new seal. The two gaskets that are under the fluid chamber are easily made. Bottom line,I fixed my PS pump for around $7.00 ! I've driven the car daily for a couple of years or so now and am quite proud of my fix!Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if I can be of anymore assistance!....walt...tulsa,ok

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I got a rebuild kit for my 54 PS pump from Mike Gadelato , he lists them on Ebay with a Buy It Now price. It was a good kit, not expensive and it had everything in it [including a photo copy of the rebuild instructions from the workshop manual] . It was easy to rebuild.
Phil