News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where are the OEM Parts Suppliers - like dbaer's cadillacville New Cadillacville

Started by 59-in-pieces, March 27, 2024, 09:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

At a time when it is so important to encourage folks to cuddle up to Cadillacs of all ages.
And the success of restorations and even repairs is so tied to sources of parts, where have all the suppliers gone.
Nothing matches the frustration of a new owner of a Cadillac than to bounce off the wall of no parts - frustration sets in and there goes the hobby.
Switch to Chey and Ford and get parts all day long - yes they made so many more of each, but still.

In my opinion, it is so important to use original parts rather than foreign after market "FITS - this or that year or model" parts suppliers.
Original "plug and Play" parts are so much more reliable than those parts from foreign "close enough" attitude producers.

I have taken strolls on the internet to find aged OEM parts and found that they have fallen into the unobtainium category, not because they were so expensive (often times they are), but just they could not be found.
Even recently I have been looking for a front bumper and grill for a 1953, only to find re-chromed offerings - little free range - don't want to pay someone else to chrome my parts.

I used dbaer's - cadillacville in the subject bar (there are many others) because phone, email, texts have resulted in crickets.
Who knows what happed to those folks.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Carfreak

Steven,

Did you see this website? Looks like they got bought out but not sure how long ago. Have you tried to contact the new owners and got crickets or were you using an old email address?

https://www.cadillacville.com/
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Lexi

Quote from: Carfreak on March 28, 2024, 05:50:32 AMSteven,

Did you see this website? Looks like they got bought out but not sure how long ago. Have you tried to contact the new owners and got crickets or were you using an old email address?

https://www.cadillacville.com/

I believe they were bought out as well. Have met the new owner a few times and he is very good to deal with. I highly recommend Cadillacville as they have been fair & honest to deal with. Contact is via the link posted by Sue. Clay/Lexi

Carfreak

If anyone is interested in a new venture, it sounds like Ed Cholakian wants to retire and is trying to sell his Cadillac parts business in Vegas area.  Apparently house & property are included but who knows - could possibly buy just the parts segment.

https://www.allcads.com/shop/
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

M. Bankes

Hi,
I am the owner of CadillacVille. Dbaer is retired and not active in the business anymore. I am sorry that I am hard to get ahold of, and slow to deal with. I am only 1 person, I try my best to deal with everything, but there is only so much I can do. I have tried to hire someone to help but between trying to find someone and then the expense of paying them to locate the parts and remove them it just doesn't make any financial sense at the end of the month. You ask where all the parts suppliers have gone, this is the answer. Storage of the cars and parts is expensive. Labour is expensive. Overhead is expensive. As you said, when you do find a part you have been looking for it is expensive, which makes allot of people not buy they. At the end of the day it is a business, I need to pay my bills the same as everyone else. I had employees, and it helped me get the parts faster and have much better customer relations, but the business couldn't support it at the end of the month. The only was I have found to survive is to be a " one man band "
Your message on here is misleading. You sent me an email on Tues, stating you saw my Craiglist ad. I am not running any Craiglist ads. Your message asked for a 1959 front bumper and then referenced a 1953 front bumper as well,  so I thought the email may have been a mistake honestly. You emailed again on Wednesday, without the Craiglist reference, and I replied on Thursday. Yes you are absolutely correct it took me 2 days to reply to you. You are 100% incorrect when you say you have inquires have resulted in " nothing but crickets ". After my initial reply we emailed back and forth several times yesterday in fact. I can not turn wrenches, remove parts, disassemble cars and talk on the phone. Email or text is my preferred method of communication because I can reply when my hands are free. Like I said, the only business model I have been able to make work for me is to be a one man band. Yes, I do know it means I loose sales on parts I can't get too fast enough, but I can't help that. A hired hand results in loosing money for me, and then I won't be around to help the people I am able to help. It's just a fact that I have to deal with. Again, I am sorry you feel my communication is sub par, I will work on improving it as best I can in the future
Michael.

Clewisiii

I understand this. I had reached out to a yard to ask about a small stainless steel button that hold the plastic seat track cover on the 61. He told me $75.

I asked why so much. He said it is $50 for me to walk out there and get the part.

I guess if you are running a yard even if you get the Cars for free you still have all the other business expenses that add up the part prices.

Which makes it nice if an individual can buy their own parts car and sell things they don't need to people who do. It is cheaper for everyone in that situation. But not as reliable as a knowledgeable dedicated seller.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Lexi

Now that Michael has included the above noted post, I can confirm that he is a very busy guy. Can only comment on my experience & have noted that he is willing to work with clients and go the extra mile. In one instance he assisted in getting a Cadillac engine transported to a US buddy when covid border travel restrictions were in place. He is also a knowledgable Cadillac resource. In my dealings I have found him to be fair and honest. Clay/Lexi

59-in-pieces

Michael - Cadillacville,

I MEANT NO DISRESPECT AND I OFFER YOU MY SINCERE APOLOGY.

And to all who read this post, I TOO OFFER MY APOLOGY FOR HANDING OUT A BLACK EYE TO MICHAEL AND HIS BUSINESS.

There was more than a little confusion at my end.
My son Chris was looking for a 1953 front bumper, grille, and brackets and passed the job off to me with his sad stories of his difficulties.
Foolishly, I went out the gate on the wrong foot.

I did in fact start exchanging emails recently with Michael and shared the reason for my screw-ups in communications with the hand off.

Once burned - twice learned.
Look before you leap.
I surely will.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

M. Bankes

Hi,
Thank you I do really appreciate that. I do have the '53 bumper here if your interested, it will have to be shipped to you of coarse but I do have it
Michael

5390john

Michael:
Are you still located in Washington near Winlock? I have been there many times, years ago, when I was restoring my '55 CDV. Got to know Dbaer pretty well. How's he doing?
I used to see him at my booth at the Portland Swap Meet every year. It's coming up next week and I'll be there at the same location as always. If you're in touch with him, tell him hello for me and ask him to stop by at the show!
Thanks for taking over the business, Dbear had been looking to get out for a long time. It's an ever more valuable resource for keeping these cars preserved and running.
Keep up the good work!!
John Adams
Lake Oswego
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Joe G 12138

I remember, not so long ago, before the internet stuff and wireless plans with no long distance charges, that many parts sellers asked you to write with your needs with a "SASE" self addressed stamped envelope. It took awhile; but that seemed the norm at the time. Even then, many sellers were time strapped to check their shelf stock / junkyards / and parts cars. I can understand that then and now.   

CadillacFanBob

@M. Bankes thank you for the detailed answer to clear things up.

@59-in-pieces it takes a real Cadillac man to admit your confusion to all of us.

last @Lexi,  if he tells us his opinion of his real life experiences, Lexi is a man I trust, if he says DO it, I follow his suggestion NO questions asked by me.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

Lexi

Quote from: CadillacFanBob on April 05, 2024, 12:40:19 PM@M. Bankes thank you for the detailed answer to clear things up.

@59-in-pieces it takes a real Cadillac man to admit your confusion to all of us.

last @Lexi,  if he tells us his opinion of his real life experiences, Lexi is a man I trust, if he says DO it, I follow his suggestion NO questions asked by me.

Bob

Bob many thanks for the vote of confidence. I as well hold you and your comments in equally high esteem. We all got to be there for one another, as no one will care for these cars as much as we do. My background is in Forensic Science and Law Enforcement, so I tend to be a detail oriented guy. When in court you lived or died on the witness stand based on the quality of your work. One misstep could ruin your career, as it follows you. Coincidently I just had another dealing with Michael Banks this week, and again I found him to be fair and honest. In my opinion he even went above and beyond the call of duty. So based on my experience Michael is a recommended Cadillac guy to deal with. He is low key, not wired (like me), but don't let that fool you as he has a good knowledge of Cadillac. And no, I don't work for him! Have met him a few times and I always came away having learned something new about Cadillac. He is definetely a member of the "club". Clay/Lexi

Art Director

There are several parts ads each month appearing in The Self-Starter. Please please please patronize these advertisers, as they pay good money to reach our club members via our magazine. Some of those advertisers tell us they get no response from their ads and they leave, hurting your club's advertising revenue. That should not be the case.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

cadillacmike68

Thanks Michael for posting in and letting us know. I've been a DBear / Cadillacville customer for years and will continue to check out your site for needed parts.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike