News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Two Post Lifts

Started by G Pennington, October 17, 2016, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

Has anyone had any experience with the Danmar "MaxJack" 2-post portable mid-rise lift?
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp
They claim a 6000 lb lift capacity, 44 in lift, and easy to unbolt & move out of the way when not in use.  Can't use a full height lift due to my 9 foot ceiling.

But every video/picture I can find on the internet shows it lifting Porsches, Corvettes, etc., not a big/heavy car like our Cadillacs.  Biggest concern I have is the concrete anchors pulling out.  I have an existing shop, 10 years old, unknown concrete floor thickness or psi rating.

Thanks.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

TJ Hopland

What would that one end up costing? 

I'm with you on the capacity,  when I was looking at 2 post lifts I was pretty much set on 10,000 lb capacity to give a generous margin for dealing with a typical Cadillac.   The other thing about the bigger lifts is they are usually intended for trucks that are also longer and more similar to our cars.   

Other thing I would question is it worth the trouble at 48"?   I get the 9' ceiling limit,  my previous garage was 6' 2" so even worse.    48" to me is just a awkward height except for maybe working on wheels / brakes if you do that standing.   Its not high enough to stand under, may not even be high enough to sit on a stool?   I would rig up some string around the garage mocking up where the bottom of the car would be and then look at stool heights and mock those up too and actually scoot around the garage floor pretending to work on the bottom of the car.   Spend some time with your arms in the air like you would be actually changing a starter or something like that to make sure you find that a reasonable height.

Here is what I found since with my 6' ceiling I was really limited.   Now I have 9' and with that I can drive my Suburban on it and raise it in the garage.   I have had it for maybe 8 years now and its still great.   2 post would be better but a garage with that much ceiling height is still several years out.   I got mine back when they had a 5000 lb and 7000 lb models so I got the 7.   Looks like now they just have a 6k but being closer to the capacity doesn't bother me as much with this design, you are supporting the weight near the legs most of the time.   

http://www.kwik-lift.com/kwik-lift.html

Basically its a giant set of ramps.   You drive on then slide a jack under the back and raise it up then a couple legs pop out.    With a creeper with a headrest its actually pretty comfortable to work on the bottom of a car.   With a truck I can actually sit upright in most places.    Working on brakes its pretty comfortable sitting on a stool. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

The 2 post lets you work on any of the running gear unobstructed. 
I put in a 10,000 lb 6' lift for $3500 in 2004, what is the point of
trying to spend even less?  I put it up myself in 2 days with just an
engine hoist.  By making it much easier to do my own work
and keep cars on the road longer, its long since paid for itself, and
what about my back? 

The thing is, it needs a 13' ceiling, and if you don't have great
concrete, you need to cut it out and do it over.  Bruce Roe

fishnjim

I feel your pain.
I built a 1500ft2 garage with 15' clear span to put a lift in.   Never did, I was working.   Retired.  Bought a 2000fts shop with 10' ceiling and the truss structure is not easy to modify.   I could put one outside but only weather permitting.   
Can't justify a $20K lift to work on a $20K project.
In the old days (10-20's) before lifts, they dug a narrow pit with steps on one end.   Our grandfathers gas station had one.   Just aim the steps toward outside in case of fire.

D.Yaros

I have a Mohawk A-7 two post lift I bought used and could not be happier.  I considered a pit, but the building code regs for electric, drainage and exhaust make such impractical in this day and age.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

oldcarguy

And, yes I see that CUBS banner!! How appropriate! Go Cubbies
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

INTMD8

If you can modify the trusses/ceiling for more height that's what I would do. First things first however and that is to drill into the concrete and test the depth.

If it's not 4"+ you will need to cut out and pour a thicker section, keyed into the existing slab to support the lift.

G Pennington

Good discussion.

The reason I was interested in the MaxJack was that it would lift the car high enough so I work under it sitting on a stool, with no obstructions underneath.  I can't lay flat on my back for more than 5-10 minutes anymore due to stomach problems (getting old sucks!).  And it's just not practical to modify the roof to get 13+ ft. of clearance to use a full height lift like the Rotary or Mohawk.

Checked the floor; good concrete near the wall where one post would be located, but hairline cracks where the other post needs to be.  Would have to tear up and re-pour a section of floor.

So I found a open-center platform lift (http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/mds-6k.aspx) that should work.  Name brand, looks to be heavy duty, don't have to worry about the concrete anchors pulling out, no permanent post in the way, and good access under the car.  I can rig the hydraulic lines with quick-disconnects to get them out of the way when I'm not using it.  Not as nice an a two-post, but should do the job.

I'll post an update when I get it installed.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

57 Eldo Seville

After much research, I ended up with a baseplate 2 post lift.  My concrete is around 4" thick and the ceiling height is 10'10".  I need to be careful when raising a car but I can work comfortably under the Seville.  I am a little bit limited with my truck, however.

I can't imagine why I waited so long to get a lift.  The increase in productivity far exceeds the cost of the lift.

Dave
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

bcroe

Quote from: 57 Eldo SevilleI can't imagine why I waited so long to get a
lift.  The increase in productivity far exceeds the cost of the lift.  Dave 

That says it.  Immediately after I bought my place with enough space, a lift
was ordered and installed. All car work was moved there, though I didn't
officially move for a couple years.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: G Pennington on October 28, 2016, 11:25:41 PMI found a open-center platform lift (http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/mds-6k.aspx) that should work.  Name brand, looks to be heavy duty, don't have to worry about the concrete anchors pulling out, no permanent post in the way, and good access under the car.  I can rig the hydraulic lines with quick-disconnects to get them out of the way when I'm not using it.  Not as nice an a two-post, but should do the job.

I'll post an update when I get it installed.

Let us know how that works out.   I have seen those but never tried to work under one.   To me it looks like the platform and mechanism would limit the working space under the car.   It may be fine for say the driveshaft but could be a real pain to work on brake or fuel lines that run along the frame rail.   I also would still have concerns about the weight especially since 'our cars' tend to have a lot of car and weight forward and behind the wheels. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason