News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1958 Radiator Hose clamps. Advise needed.

Started by johnregrus, May 02, 2013, 04:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I contacted Ideal Tridon to have them check what documented records they may have regarding the 1958 Cadillac production run supplier question.  There may have been multiple suppliers, a mid-year change in vendors, an Engineering Design Change or any of a number of circumstances.  I can only speak from what I know to be accurate regarding my dad's original car and my friend's original car.  I refuse to make "blanket" unsupported statements, but will continue and share my findings.

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Blade

That's another idea I was going to bring up, they might have used two (or more?) different types. The 59s even used two different type of 4 Jet carburetors, the Carters and the Rochesters, so I could see them using different type of anything in the same model cars.

Jon S

I haven't gotten a reply from Ideal, but interestingly Gregg Powers's original 1958 Fleetwood in the For Sale Section has the same stainless Radiator hose clamps as my dad's and friends originals leading me to believe these were indeed the factory installed clamps for 1958; not corbin or any others.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123499.0;attach=44421
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Grant Owen

Jon, I can't believe you are going down this track again looking at the pictures of the 58 Fleetwood the clamps would have been replaced when the radiator hoses were replaced just like the clamp on the Gas hose to the fuel pump. The clamps & hoses have been replaced just like the ones on your car.

Jon S

Grant  -

No to belabor the point, but I know the complete history of my dad's purchased new 1958 Cadillac and I performed the routine maintenance with him.  He was a stickler for keeping the car 100% original and we re-used the hose clamps 3 times in the past 55 years.  I provided supportive pictures of a friend's original 1958 Convertible and when I saw Gregg Power's 1958 Fleetwood pictures I noted that they also were the same.  This isn't just a fluke!

If the CLS wants to be accurate, I know the complete history of dad's car and my memory is quire good.  Use my knowledge for accuracy in restoring these cars and in the CLC's documentation.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

In the best interests of keeping this thread from delving into the inflammatory discussion it was, this thread is now locked.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car