News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

What years and models had a radio foot switch?

Started by benji808, February 28, 2023, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

Quote from: Nickl on March 12, 2023, 08:51:25 AMOkay to understand that correct.... one pin is simply ground and the other two pins make the mechanism work so there is no difference between the two other pins? Only to make contact between the 2? Ao it's possible to to check that wen I make 3 cables. One connected to ground  and when I make a connection between the two other cables the mechanism should work?

Nickl,

You will need to look at the pictures above from Clay/Lexi (post 2495) for reference on how the foot switch/wire/plug are setup.

a-   On the foot switch there are two wires inside the braided shield (white and red) these are connected to the end plug pins.
b-   The braided shield is connected to the metal case of the foot switch and to the metal case at the plug end "ONLY" and it does not get connected to the plug pin (as shown on the diagram).
c-   The foot switch get the ground once it is bolted to the floor chassis.

On the radio connector;

1-   One connector is ground to the radio chassis, the other two are for either the (white or red) for the foot switch to activate the radio tuner seeker.

I made a slight modification to my previous diagram to show the foot switch cabling to the end plug and to the radio connector removing the lines at the radio side.

Hope this will make it a bit clearer.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Nickl

Thank you a lot for your help.
I'm not so good in electronic sorry  ;)
Was able to make some pictures of a radio core I have here... maybe this can help too understand for building my own switch
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Nickl

Quote from: J. Gomez on March 12, 2023, 09:38:53 AMNickl,

You will need to look at the pictures above from Clay/Lexi (post 2495) for reference on how the foot switch/wire/plug are setup.

a-   On the foot switch there are two wires inside the braided shield (white and red) these are connected to the end plug pins.
b-   The braided shield is connected to the metal case of the foot switch and to the metal case at the plug end "ONLY" and it does not get connected to the plug pin (as shown on the diagram).
c-   The foot switch get the ground once it is bolted to the floor chassis.

On the radio connector;

1-   One connector is ground to the radio chassis, the other two are for either the (white or red) for the foot switch to activate the radio tuner seeker.

I made a slight modification to my previous diagram to show the foot switch cabling to the end plug and to the radio connector removing the lines at the radio side.

Hope this will make it a bit clearer.   ;)

Good luck..!

So to understand it correctly the switch only make contact between the two cables so it will not matter wich color of the cable goes to the port when building my own one?

J. Gomez

Quote from: Nickl on March 12, 2023, 01:05:53 PMSo to understand it correctly the switch only make contact between the two cables so it will not matter wich color of the cable goes to the port when building my own one?

Nickl,

That would be correct either "white or red" or "red or white" on either end they both will get the switch ground at the same time once it is pressed.

PS Hope you plan on restoring the radio on your picture ??? by the looks it seems it would need major overhaul and calibration.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Nickl

Quote from: J. Gomez on March 12, 2023, 01:20:29 PMNickl,

That would be correct either "white or red" or "red or white" on either end they both will get the switch ground at the same time once it is pressed.

PS Hope you plan on restoring the radio on your picture ??? by the looks it seems it would need major overhaul and calibration.

Good luck..!

No the radio on the pictures is only a spare core... the kne in my 54 work perfect... saved the core for tubes and stuff to have spare parts