News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: TJ Hopland on Today at 06:21:30 PMSure to most of us $5k is a big risk but there is a whole class of people that can gamble that much a couple times a day.   

Gambling $5K for kicks and throwing $5k away outright in some convoluted hair-brained scheme to influence the market are two different things. And when the car comes up again because it did not sell for the $101k, the jig would be up anyway.

The seller is a dealer and no dealer is going to throw $5k to the wind trust me, I don't care how rich they are. Did you click on the buyer's name and see his past BaT purchases? Compared to many of them, the ELdo is small potatoes. There is no doubt in my mind the sale price is real.   
For Sale - Parts / Re: FS: Cadillac & LaSalle Sal...
Last post by Ohjai - Today at 06:37:17 PM
John what do you have available for a 38 60 Special and a 41 60 Special?
Another  balance issue is the road force variation problems, this again requires more specialized equipment.
General Discussion / Re: 1975 Eldorado just sold fo...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 06:21:30 PM
Sure to most of us $5k is a big risk but there is a whole class of people that can gamble that much a couple times a day.   With the recent $87k sale I would say we have at least 2 crazy priced sales.

It does seem like these cars are doing decent tho.  I was looking at the sold history on ebay and saw one that looked like it could have been pulled out of a rust belt scrap yard that sold for $4500.  Ya know the kind where there is pretty much no fabric left on the top or seats and visible rust and dents.   
Nobody is going to eat a $5,000 commission fee purely to give the illusion a given car sold for $100K in one particular auction/setting at one particular point in time. Firstly it would assume the market has perfect knowledge/memory of the fact. Secondly, that everybody is going to instantly revise their own evaluations because of it. Two heroic assumptions that would never happen in reality. Outliers happen all the time in the auction world. If a certain car is represents $x value to me, I'm not about to pay two, three or four times the money just because somebody else once did.

You need a lot more than a single sale result before anything close to a baseline is established.
General Discussion / At home tire/wheel balancing?
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 04:49:46 PM
Every time I have have to buy tires or have to drive something that vibrates down the road I am reminded how it seems like no shops either know or care enough to actually be able to balance usually a new tire you just bought from them. 

Do the currently available new bubble balancers work?  Vintage ones?  How about the spin balance machines?  Prices on used ones seem to be around $200 to about $3000 and within that full range you see them that look like they have been sitting outside getting rained on and that say things like has an error. 

New seems to be $800 to like $8,000.  There are some localish sellers selling 'import' models for around $1200.  Hard to tell what you are getting with those but reviews from non full time shop people seem to be good.  I got some friends with shop space that also hate out of balance tires.     
General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 04:11:49 PM
Daryl,

From what I can tell, the fleetgard kit CC8997 is the one that tests acidity. It's a 4 way test versus the 3 way test that the one you linked to has.
I'm only going by what I'm reading about these on their website. Can you verify if I'm understanding this correctly?
Thank you again for your expertise.

Rick

Screenshot_20240506-131127_Samsung Internet.jpg
General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 03:41:44 PM
  Thank you Daryl,
You have answered the questions I had earlier, and raised another.
That's great that you can get the SCA for the ethylene glycol, (green) antifreeze. I wasn't aware that it was possible to refresh antifreeze.
I've been looking for those test strips. Are they all pretty much the same, or are there any that are better than the rest?
The one you linked states it can test the temperature protection level, but doesn't seem to say anything about the acidity test. Am I missing something here?
I do have a tester that draws antifreeze into it that tells you what temperature level it's good for.
 So these strips will do the same thing?
I definitely need to get something that will test the acidity, but I'd like to be sure whatever I get can do that.
Thanks for stepping in and explaining things.

Rick
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1958 Cadillac horn wire re...
Last post by dn010 - Today at 03:40:47 PM
It can also be done if you're using a puller by placing a socket upside down on top of the large nut and having the puller engage the socket. The socket should be large enough to fit over the steering shaft but small enough to fit on top of the large nut. Before doing that, I took the large nut off and used a grinder to cut the screw slots in the nut. Beats using a file.
Thank you Greg