News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Restoration Corner / Re: Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 04:20:32 PM
So playing around on RTRW and now i have a $2700 shopping cart there. And today playing on Caddy Daddy I end up with a $2000 shopping cart.
General Discussion / Re: Why Did I Receive This???
Last post by Carfreak - Yesterday at 03:40:31 PM
As a Director and outspoken member of the Board, I voted to approve the new Policy.

Trust when I state this was of my own volition & not influenced by others' actions.
  What you need is a copy of Body By Fisher Service News  Vol 7 Number 2 (from 8-30-1946). Its 24 pages on all 1946 Fisher Hydro-Electric systems. I'd offer to copy it, but there are too many light grays and pictures. It won't come out well.

Almost all of it was included in the Fisher Body manual- Service and Construction 1946-1947.(or 1946-1948).
This book is on eBay all the time. The reprints  aren't as good, try to find a Fisher Printing.

Warren
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1947 Cadillac convertible ...
Last post by tluke - Yesterday at 02:59:53 PM
There are two fairly recent threads about the late 40's and early '50s Hydro-Lectric systems which I expect will be very similar to the '47. They explain how the Hydro-Lectric system works. Much involves the windows and switches but it also references the convertible top.
This post Re: 49 hydro electric system links to two articles for basic understanding how the system works and some troubleshooting.
This post Re: Hydro-lectric window help provides more info about Hydro-Lectric and includes a wiring diagram for the windows and the top and several troubleshooting tips specific to the switch issue in the original post.  You should probably read the whole thread for each of those two separate posts.
General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by Cadman-iac - Yesterday at 02:10:59 PM
 I have a friend who uses old car batteries, (12v) for his house solar storage, and it seems to work just fine for him.
 But I'm in agreement with Gregory, until they get the technology to make an electric car/truck last all day while towing a trailer, I'll continue to use my very dependable ICE vehicles.

On a side note here, just think of how much oil could be used for fuel if we only used plastic for flyswatters and paper plate holders, and maybe the lens on your dash cluster.
 Recycling would be changed forever because all of these plastic turdboxes wouldn't be littering up the salvage yards and highways.
 And think of how much longer you can use your vehicles if it didn't break every time you touched something or shut the door hard.
 What will people think? Oh yeah, we really can make quality products that will last forever, and can be rebuilt and used again,and again, and again.......and again, and again!!!
Damn!!! What a concept!!
I'm a genius, but wait, that's how we used to think back in the 20's,30's, 40's and 50's. What happened to us?

Rick
As mentioned in another discussion here, the decision was unanimous except for one opposed. Personally I would have preferred a dual level system of limited posting privileges (ie: five posts max per day) with restricted access to Classified sub-forums for nonmembers and full posting privileges for paid members. Not being a board member so I wasn't in a position to propose it. However, even that wouldn't address spam issues which have become more frequent which was an important factor in the decision.

Another forum that I'm a member of also charges $25.00/year for full access/posting privileges which also allows unlimited time to edit posts. Non paying members cannot access the trading/for sale sections and cannot edit their posts. As far as I can tell, paid members represent around one-third of the audience. 
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Another ill transmission
Last post by 1959Fleetwood - Yesterday at 01:52:31 PM
Hello TJ,  The piece of the snap ring wasn't used as a shim. According to the owner who has the car for more than 38 years the transmission has never been rebuilt during his ownership. I think that somebody forgot the broken snap ring piece during a rebuild in the past. As mentioned in my earlier post i found it between the back of the front unit coupling and the front of the oil pump. The car owner was just lucky that it didn't cause any major problems/damage.
General Discussion / Re: 1960 New 2 to engine hoist
Last post by Cadman-iac - Yesterday at 01:51:32 PM
Jon,

I know that some of these are adjustable both on the legs and the boom. However, unfortunately most are designed for today's little turdboxes where the exhaust manifold doubles as the grille so they don't have to reach out as far. They're really not designed to work on a real car.
If yours is adjustable, there should be a bolt sticking out of each leg that clamps the extension part in place, and the same with the boom. Just be sure to extend the legs as far as they'll go, (but keeping a minimum of 6" inside the outer portion), or the whole unit with your engine will tip forward.
I've got one of these newer versions myself, (read Chinese), but if I'm working on something that I need a longer reach for, I'll use my old hoist, (it's just a lot heavier and harder to move), I've had to use the jack from the old hoist on the newer one anyway after the newer one, (Chineseium), gave out with an engine and transmission hanging over the header panel. Thankfully the car was just a junker that I wanted the drive train out of, so no harm other than the huge mess the transmission made when it leaked all over the floor, (and my temper).

With that said, if yours doesn't extend far enough, about the only thing that you can do short of buying another is to buy some box tubing similar to what that one is made from, and make longer extensions for legs and boom so it'll have the reach you need.
Yes, it's a real pain in the a$$, but this is the result of dealing with China.

Rick
General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 01:39:56 PM
Ev batteries go into recycling. Some just chopped up, but others go into other forms of energy storage. As noted these batteries degrade. And most are thought of as done in cars after they go below 80%. But there are other stationary uses for the batteries when done. Some people use them in there homes for battery storage from solar panels. There is a server farm that is backed up by used Nissan leaf batteries.
General Discussion / Re: 1960 New 2 to engine hoist
Last post by Big Fins - Yesterday at 01:39:04 PM
In one word, YES!

I had to go get a 5' extension of square tube for both the boom and the legs that roll under the car. This all had to be fabricated before I could even think about lifting the 390 and Hydra-Matic. I still have it and it's very heavy. The boom is more than double the thickness of the existing boom. It had to be drilled and bolted back far enough so that when weight was applied, the existing boom didn't just peel away like an onion skin.

I kept it in hopes that if I ever needed to pull the 500 out of the Eldorado, I would have something capable of doing the job. But before I can do anything, I need to get the 8 ton bottle jack resealed. I just hope I NEVER have to pull that engine out.