News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado just sold for $101,000 on Bring a Trailer

Started by Richf1966, April 29, 2024, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Nobody is going to eat a $5,000 commission fee purely to give the illusion a given car sold for $100K in one particular auction/setting at one particular point in time. Firstly it would assume the market has perfect knowledge/memory of the fact. Secondly, that everybody is going to instantly revise their own evaluations because of it. Two heroic assumptions that would never happen in reality. Outliers happen all the time in the auction world. If a certain car is represents $x value to me, I'm not about to pay two, three or four times the money just because somebody else once did.

You need a lot more than a single sale result before anything close to a baseline is established.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Sure to most of us $5k is a big risk but there is a whole class of people that can gamble that much a couple times a day.   With the recent $87k sale I would say we have at least 2 crazy priced sales.

It does seem like these cars are doing decent tho.  I was looking at the sold history on ebay and saw one that looked like it could have been pulled out of a rust belt scrap yard that sold for $4500.  Ya know the kind where there is pretty much no fabric left on the top or seats and visible rust and dents.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 06, 2024, 06:21:30 PMSure to most of us $5k is a big risk but there is a whole class of people that can gamble that much a couple times a day.   

Gambling $5K for kicks and throwing $5k away outright in some convoluted hair-brained scheme to influence the market are two different things. And when the car comes up again because it did not sell for the $101k, the jig would be up anyway.

The seller is a dealer and no dealer is going to throw $5k to the wind trust me, I don't care how rich they are. Did you click on the buyer's name and see his past BaT purchases? Compared to many of them, the ELdo is small potatoes. There is no doubt in my mind the sale price is real.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mr cadillac

Norman Jenney......Mr Cadillac

Joe G 12138

I never thought I would hear anyone complain about too many pictures, or too much information, especially with internet sales. Especially when that kind of money is involved. Usually the opposite is the case; selective camera position to accentuate the positive and distract from the negative, and no way to see from different angles. And after the auction the complaint that that view where the fault was was never shown.
        I've got nothing to do with this sale or anyone involved; but as a buyer of other things I sure appreciate as many pictures as I can get. Just my opinion...

TJ Hopland

Oh ya I do hate it when there is something posted for sale and there are 4 fuzzy photos taken from more or less the same angle where you really can't see anything but here it seemed like over half the pics were the same or didn't show anything thing different.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jwwseville60

It sold? Damn.
I would have paid $202,000 for this car had I known about it.
Another diamond in the rough Ive missed again...
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC