News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Glove Compartment Owners Plaque

Started by Richf1966, March 24, 2024, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richf1966

Does anyone know if this was done when you ordered a new cadillac or is this something specially done for a special customer. My 75' Eldorado convertible has this plaque installed on the inside of the glove box door. It says "Built Especially for Jim Becker".

I can find any information on this.
75' Eldorado Convertible

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

My ex father in law had an ego bigger than Milwaukee. He used to buy at least 3 new cars each year after the dealership told him stories of custom made units that were being made on an individual basis for "preferred" customers. Each of these new cars came with a gold plated plaque that stated "this car manufactured for (his name).
These were all Cadillacs and Lincolns. Some folks are led by their egos just like others have to obey their hormones
Greg Surfas
This "dedicated car" stuff started with him in the early 60's
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Seville Life

I've seen the plaque you have before, same wording, same typeface. The trouble is today it's all so long ago no one is left who was actually there to tell the story.

Certainly dealers fitted these, whether or not Clark Street had a process and the wherewithal to engrave them/have them engraved and then fitted, I just don't know.

With the early Buick Rivieras it was something you ordered and paid for. I have odd versions of early to mid 1970's New Car Order Forms but there's no place to tick/order such a plaque. In those days there was a figure given out, in Hendry's book I think (?) that stated x out of every 10 orders were Cadillacs were built to customer's requirements? That is not a Special Order, just a customer order.

I think your plaque is original and of the time and probably done by the dealer or Cadillac. Paul
Paul Bedford

V63

Worth mention, the 1974-76 Fleetwood TALISMAN edition factory featured a similar plaque with the owners name, prominently framed within the center console. This would have been part of selling dealer prep.