News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 deville visor hinge separation?

Started by TomB, July 07, 2022, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomB

I d like to re-chrome the hinges of my sun visors. But for that I need to separate the two parts. But I can't figure out how to. Brute force, clever trick, or is it impossible?

See pic.

Thanks,

Tom

fishnjim

There should be either a screw or set screw on the part that rotates/swivels that holds in the rod with the visor on it.  Either a detent on the rod or clamp holds it in.  The clamp kind were notorious to getting loose and flopping down in some years. 
Loosen that small fastener then the rod and visor will slide out.  The visor can be slid off the rod then.  May need a bit of lube/penetrant if never been off.
There's screws holding the base to the windshield frame to remove it.   
These are also available in re-pop. 
Sometimes those swivel joints get worn and chrome won't fix that and make sure they plate it right or it won't work again.
Search for a picture on line. 

TomB

Hi J.

Thanks a lot for your post regarding my visor issue, you are much more knowledgable than I am, thanks! Before breaking stuff, I apologize for bothering you all again. Please see the attached picture, the part I would like to loosen is the part encircled with red in the picture. I don't find any hidden screw or clip to separate it from the bracket. No pictures on the internet. Do I pry it loose with a big screwdriver and brute force or is there a more elegant way?
Thanks again,
Tom

Chuck Swanson

These were reproduced for my '66, so should be same if that helps.  Don't recall where I purchased, but they are nice.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TomB

Hi all, the bracket consists of 2 parts, I would like to change the part that holds the visor as my original one is broken. The plastic bushing was worn out and previous owner tightened too much so it snapped. I purchased a new set, but that turned out not to be chromed. I would like to separate the two parts and have new "visor holding" part rechromed. But for that purpose I need to separate the two parts. I am based in Holland so purchasing and shipping yet another set is a bit too costly. Any insights how to take the parts apart?
Thanks.
Tom

Chuck Swanson

Ahh, just an FYI for all as I have seen two sets of these sold, chrome and a brushed finish for some reason.  Surprised the chrome cost is less than purchasing and shipping a new set. 

Also, the chrome screws are not reproduced, so you might want to get them done at the same time.  I believe 6 total and mine were $10 each a few years ago.  Chuck 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TomB

For anyone with the same problem:The two parts cannot be separated. Well I did with a sledgehammer only to find out that the two parts are forged into each other. Bought a new set, probably chinese...shiny but a lousy fit...

Clewisiii

I was hoping to find a reproduction for my 61 brackets. Some say they will fit but are a half inch shorter. I think by definition that means they don't fit. I bought a set from a Chevy restoration supplier. Looked the same. But when I got them realized they were only 3/4 the overall size of the Cadillac. IMG_20240319_205410633.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering